Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

21 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

As time goes on this is what I think...

A) neither harper or machado are signing this week, but both have a very, very strong idea of where they're going. They probably have 1 and 1A for scenarios.

Harper: My guess is that right now the Sox/Phillies have very similar offers out there. Which is higher, who knows. I do honestly think that Harper will come to the Sox if those were just the two options on the table. However what his rush to sign? Yes it's screwing over teams like the Phillies and Sox to wait around -- but that doesn't matter to him. I think he'd be fine taking either of those two offers, and would be a White Sox sometime around the new year. That being said I think he's clearly waiting for the Dodgers or Cubs to make moves to free up cap space and would easily sign with either of those two teams for slightly less money. The fact the Dodgers are so clearly wanting to move pieces around?? Scary. Harper would be close to home. Hollywood. It's a match made in heaven. Odds: Dodgers 60% Cubs 15% White Sox 15% Phillies 10%

Machado: Same story basically. I think the Phillies and Sox have the best current offers out there. I truly believe the only other team in the hunt is the Yankees. Again I think the chances are about equal and will come down to whoever puts the most money on the table, but I think Machado is going to wait around to see if the Yankees can make some moves and acquire him. If they're out he'll take the most money on the table.

Odds: Yankees 70% White Sox 15% Phillies 15%

This is my nightmare. That's the ultimate "rich get richer" situation and it would be horrific for the league. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It does you no good to let it out you actually think you will land one of these guys. The Phillies owner will never live his line of spending stupidly down if they fail and the guys they sign instead don't get the job done. 

What the White Sox leak out really means squat. The fact is, they leaked out enough to stick their necks on the line. If they don't convert, the backlash they get is well deserved. If they don't offer enough money, it was unrealistic to think they had a shot. If they do offer the most money, and the player looks elsewhere, they created the undesirable situation.

I agree completely. But the fact they stuck their necks out adds accountability for them, and I'm not sure they do that if they weren't confident. It is one thing to speak of spending stupid money, it's another to mention letting the fans down and trying to build the relationship again. I think if the Sox didn't feel good about their chances they would have just remained silent. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It does you no good to let it out you actually think you will land one of these guys. The Phillies owner will never live his line of spending stupidly down if they fail and the guys they sign instead don't get the job done. 

What the White Sox leak out really means squat. The fact is, they leaked out enough to stick their necks on the line. If they don't convert, the backlash they get is well deserved. If they don't offer enough money, it was unrealistic to think they had a shot. If they do offer the most money, and the player looks elsewhere, they created the undesirable situation.

You've always said it only comes down to the most money. All of the other stuff like city, team atmosphere, or personnel don't matter. So if the Sox offer the most they'll get him.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I agree completely. But the fact they stuck their necks out adds accountability for them, and I'm not sure they do that if they weren't confident. It is one thing to speak of spending stupid money, it's another to mention letting the fans down and trying to build the relationship again. I think if the Sox didn't feel good about their chances they would have just remained silent. 

The spending stupid money comment really wasn't smart business because in reality it is all stupid money. It just going downhill to idiot money now.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You've always said it only comes down to the most money. All of the other stuff like city, team atmosphere, or personnel don't matter. So if the Sox offer the most they'll get him.

Yep I remember that debate lol. It was always the team who spends the most wins no matter what. 

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If they leaked out nothing, we would think they have little shot, so we all go about our days. Now they leak enough to think it very well may happen. If it doesn't, think of all the time they made you waste. And I know some will say that isn't on them. I disagree. They know their fully engaged fans are totally into this whole process right now.

I've mentioned this before, what worries me is that signing one of these guys could have been a big part of their plans and losing out is not good. And it does get to, their talent accumulation outside of trades has not been as inspired as Padres or Braves just since 2016 when sox started infrastructure for rebuild.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've mentioned this before, what worries me is that signing one of these guys could have been a big part of their plans and losing out is not good. And it does get to, their talent accumulation outside of trades has not been as inspired as Padres or Braves just since 2016 when sox started infrastructure for rebuild.

Yep. As someone else said, they should have a plan B ready. Maybe that's what all the "white Sox in on pretty much eveyone" is all about.

The Nightengale and Levine comments are meaningless as have been just about everything else we've seen.  I think we can all agree that the Sox are being aggressive, and their offers will be one of the higher ones.  They may be "on the outside looking in", but that could be based on where wither of these guys will ultimately want to play.  Only Harper and Machado know what they will decide.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep. As someone else said, they should have a plan B ready. Maybe that's what all the "white Sox in on pretty much eveyone" is all about.

The more I think about it, it makes sense. A team of Jimenez,  JBJ and brantley in the OF, the current INF and Grandal at C, with nova and Lynn in the rotation would be the start of a. Competitive team. Add the prospects as prospects come up over the next 2 to 3 years, those players drop off and you start competing for the WS.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep go find a way to get Suarez and Haniger then by using all the payroll the Sox have to take on bad contracts and prospects. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

I mean if they miss out on both they should probably call it good this offseason and take another year of losing/high draft pick. 

That would be another version of plan B. It kind of sounds like they want to get the competitive window started though.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I mean if they miss out on both they should probably call it good this offseason and take another year of losing/high draft pick. 

If they get a top 5 pick again with a lot of the core rebuild guys up on the big league squad, the rebuild is screwed 

Just now, fathom said:

If they get a top 5 pick again with a lot of the core rebuild guys up on the big league squad, the rebuild is screwed 

It would definitely prolong the rebuild. Because other than Jimenez, I'm not sure how many of the prospects will be ready to contribute this year.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

With Kopech hurt and Giolito and Moncada seeming like long term development projects...not really. That might apply a lot better for 2020. 

Just now, fathom said:

I am still waiting for the years of crappy baseball to reward us in the draft. Still don't have one player we've drafted high besides Sale amount to anything more than a serviceable player. 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I am still waiting for the years of crappy baseball to reward us in the draft. Still don't have one player we've drafted high besides Sale amount to anything more than a serviceable player. 

I would classify Rodon as better than serviceable. However, your point is well taken. There have been very few.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That would be another version of plan B. It kind of sounds like they want to get the competitive window started though.

It does. But I personally would not be a fan of signing Grandal and Brantley. Then giving the "we tried" speech on the bigger free agents. 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

Drafting has been subpar, IMO. The approach of taking polished college players has not provided the quick benefits that were expected (injuries have been crushing)

Just now, Baron said:

It does. But I personally would not be a fan of signing Grandal and Brantley. Then giving the "we tried" speech on the bigger free agents. 

Agreed. It would need to be more than those 2 to show "they tried."

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Drafting has been subpar, IMO. The approach of taking polished college players has not provided the quick benefits that were expected (injuries have been crushing)

I don't mind the approach necessarily, but the scouting/development is still as bad as any organization in MLB.

• bmags locked this topic