Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

We seem to be having trouble with reading comprehension. 

You asked me what I think the best way is for the Sox to get competitive again. I told you the answer is incredibly simple. I didn't say the process was. 

I agree it's difficult. But after 15+ years off piss poor performance, I expect at some point they figure it out. I'm hopeful they have. We'll see. 

Hopeful, but don't trust them and doubt they can get it done. Is that what I've gleaned from our discussion?

Or is my comprehension off on that as well.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Hopeful, but don't trust them and doubt they can get it done. Is that what I've gleaned from our discussion?

Or is my comprehension off on that as well.

I hope they can get it done. But I don't trust they can, and certainly doubt it. If you owned the White Sox, and had the exact same results, and came to the conclusion after going for it in 2016 and winning 78 games that a rebuild was necessary, would you have let RH and KW do it? I would bet 99 out of 100 people would say good God no, look at their track record.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing Boras doesn't want is for Harper to sign soon and have Machado get more cash later, which if the Phillies or White Sox are still out there, and really as engaged as reported, is a really good possibility.

No doubt. It's his go to move. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I mean if they miss out on both they should probably call it good this offseason and take another year of losing/high draft pick. 

This is my view too. I don't want a hasty splash because they missed out on the two difference makers.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This is my view too. I don't want a hasty splash because they missed out on the two difference makers.

If we do miss out on Harper and MM, I don't see how moves like signing Grandal and Pomeranz, and waiting for the market to crater on corner OF and 2B/3B types and swooping up one of each on the cheap in January/February, hurts the future. 

All would be short term deals other than Grandal. 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm hopeful as I've liked what I've seen from a handful of players in the system currently.

But hold doubt based on past performance from the same management team that has been here for decades. 

Do you think that's an unfair position?

It's not an unfair position. It's a fair position. I just don't understand why you like the currently plan if you are doubtful that it will work.

That's why I originally said that if you are doubtful it will work, why aren't you pushing more for them to sign more Free agents.

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If we do miss out on Harper and MM, I don't see how moves like signing Grandal and Pomeranz, and waiting for the market to crater on corner OF and 2B/3B types and swooping up one of each on the cheap in January/February, hurts the future. 

All would be short term deals other than Grandal. 

Grandal could be an injury to the future if Collins still has a future as a catcher, because he's not going to be nearly as valuable at any other position without a huge improvement with the bat. But, if Collins isn't likely to develop at catcher or his bat just doesn't play at all, then Grandal is blocking no one of concern. So, the question there is do you trust Collins and do you trust the org's ability to develop and evaluate him?

I do worry about this one somewhat - we've seen the White Sox before sour on guys at the catcher spot who then go on to become better catchers with other organizations. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because as I said, in theory this IS the best plan. On paper, doing it this way is probably the best bet to sustained success. 

But you're asking me "Do I want my arm blown off, or my leg blown off?" You're giving me two options that both aren't great, given the fact we have a Front Office that has shown they are rather incompetent in putting together a winning MLB ballclub. 

I have doubts it will work because of the people running this operation, based on their past work. I have those same doubts with them going after free agents. 

You are just doubtful they will ever be good with this front office, I take it then.

10 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't know why everyone seems like they're throwing in the towel already. Nothing significant has changed to suggest that the Sox won't be in on these guys. It's just a waiting game at this point. Stay optimistic.

I guess we should take Bob N report with a grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

They have left me (us) with very little to get excited about over the last decade. They've never gone "full rebuild" so that's probably why I have some renewed optimism, but using past performance as my measuring stick, I don't know how anyone can be anything but doubtful when it comes to this crew. 

I don't necessarily agree but that is a fair point of view.

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't know why everyone seems like they're throwing in the towel already. Nothing significant has changed to suggest that the Sox won't be in on these guys. It's just a waiting game at this point. Stay optimistic.

Well the longer the wait to sign them, the more obvious it becomes they are waiting on the teams they prefer to make big time offers. Harpwr may be waiting on the Dodgers to move Puig and a few others. 

• Like 2

I think Rosenthal's last report is status quo for me. Everything that is only a light tweet is posturing.

LAD is clearly trying to free up cash. Phillies say they aren't out. So they aren't out. Sox aren't either. 

Just a waiting game until we see a meaningful report that removes a suitor or says that things are heating up.

Just now, Tony said:

What's your take on it? 

They have never been given the chance to do a full rebuild, only piecemeal in the past. So I'm  willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage. If within 2 years (that about 4 years for the rebuild which I consider reasonable) they aren't competitive, then it's time to go.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well the longer the wait to sign them, the more obvious it becomes they are waiting on the teams they prefer to make big time offers. Harpwr may be waiting on the Dodgers to move Puig and a few others. 

This. 

At this moment, we are the most logical landing spot for Harper by a mile. Only Philly comes close.

However, if LAD unloads OFr's they instantly become the logical landing spot. 

Similiarly with Machado, although an argument can be made with NYY unloading Andujar and PHI being the more logical choice. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Way too early to say Moncada has failed and while far less likely at this point Giolito could still be a useful rotation piece.

It is. But I think even the most optimistic was expecting a bit more in 2018.  That with Kopech going down isn't good. At least Eloy and Cease were spectacular. Hopefully that can continue.

• bmags locked this topic