Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

In 4 years Trout will have signed his new deal and it will probably reset the market.

The thing is a 4 year opt out is way preferably to a 4 year contract. If Harper suffers a career changing injury he doesnt opt out and he still makes his $300mil+.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, these Dodgers leaks are clearly coming from the Boras camp.  Make the White Sox their their offer isn’t good and bid against themselves.

Well if harper waits past December we know hes going wait for cubs or dodgers then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, these Dodgers leaks are clearly coming from the Boras camp.  Make the White Sox their their offer isn’t good and bid against themselves.

I've agreed with you until this point. I think the news of the Dodgers unloading contracts in the near future validate them being a huge threat. The Dodgers may be willing to match any offer we make as they know they can win a WS next year with a few tweaks. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I've agreed with you until this point. I think the news of the Dodgers unloading contracts in the near future validate them being a huge threat. The Dodgers may be willing to match any offer we make as they know they can win a WS next year with a few tweaks. 

The Dodgers may be thinking of unloading contracts, but notably they have not yet done so. When a move requires 3 or 4 steps to happen first, and none of those steps have happened, it makes the latter move less likely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Dodgers may be thinking of unloading contracts, but notably they have not yet done so. When a move requires 3 or 4 steps to happen first, and none of those steps have happened, it makes the latter move less likely. 

It may not have happened yet, but it means there is smoke to the Dodgers fire that they are trying. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

It may not have happened yet, but it means there is smoke to the Dodgers fire that they are trying. 

They have to move pieces no matter what as they have too many starters and outfielders and need another infielder and reliever.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The part that makes me suspicious about the Dodgers interest is.

The Dodgers can sign Harper first, and then move contracts later. Maybe they wont get *as* much talent because people know they are more desperate to move them, but still if Harper is so important you sign him and then worry about cutting salary. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

The part that makes me suspicious about the Dodgers interest is.

The Dodgers can sign Harper first, and then move contracts later. Maybe they wont get *as* much talent because people know they are more desperate to move them, but still if Harper is so important you sign him and then worry about cutting salary. 

Right... I mean what happens when you move these pieces and he signs elsewhere?

I dunno why we even should engage this guy.  He said yesterday the Dodgers were out and then used a tweet that didn't say they were out as reason to call them out.  Now he's saying Cubs are likely, then says the Dodgers are in again if he waits.

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Friedman has never signed a free agent to a $100M contract with the Dodgers.  Him paying close to $400M for Harper (an overpay on performance alone) does not fit his style.  He can probably get slightly less production from Pollack for a fraction of the cost.  Yes, Harper provides far more upside, but comes with huge long-term risks attached.  I truly don’t see Friedman doing that no matter how badly the media wants to create that narrative.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Friedman has never signed a free agent to a $100M contract with the Dodgers.  Him paying close to $400M for Harper (an overpay on performance alone) does not fit his style.  He can probably get slightly less production from Pollack for a fraction of the cost.  Yes, Harper provides far more upside, but comes with huge long-term risks attached.  I truly don’t see Friedman doing that no matter how badly the media wants to create that narrative.

How is this any different than the Sox?

Pollock would be a good add for them too.  He's injured a lot and wouldn't have to play every day with all their depth. 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

They have to move pieces no matter what as they have too many starters and outfielders and need another infielder and reliever.

If they were really desperate to make those moves, those moves are there to be made and teams aren't making them. That's telling me that the Dodgers aren't desperate to make those moves.

When we needed to make moves - to sell off Sale and Eaton, or in RH's poor attempts to be competitive in 15, he was making them. If they're desperate to move salary, they should be moving salary right now and they're not. That at least tells me they're ok with making minor moves later if thats' what it comes to. (Edit: Pending results of next 2 days of course)

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The white sox have never sign a player to $100 million contact.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

How is this any different than the Sox?

The Sox are in a completely different situation these days compared to where they used to be, where the Dodgers are basically in the same place.  Your point is obviously valid but there's some differences there.

• Like 1

The Dodgers situation reminds me more of a NBA team unloading contracts to sign the best free agents on the market. The stars probably want to go there (according to at least the perception of the media, etc.) and the Dodgers have enough flexibility to move pieces around, etc. to fit in these monster deals into their payroll.

• bmags locked this topic