Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Sox should have a good selling point here if Boras is real about this.

Keep as many players at the table as possible. The more suitors (real or perceived) the more it benefits them. Boras is playing a game. The next meaningful thing Boras says will be when he announces who he will finally sign with.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think it should be looked at like this. They have us beat on the field badly. The minors just show we can get there one day. Us beating other teams minors rosters means nothing, unless that team sucks at the mlb level like us. 

I'm not putting too much stock in it, but it is positive for us. No, Harper's not going to track the daily rise and fall of Luis Basabe's OPS like us geeks do, but if his agent is saying they are considering the long-term chances of each team, I think it can let us relax from losing 100 games last year. I just think these sorts of statements show that's not really on the radar anymore. We have young talent, and we're gonna be real good in the future. If Bryce is seriously looking at what his suitors are going to be like several years from now, I think that speaks well of our chances.

30 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Plesac just predicted Harper or Machado will sign with the Sox.  Which generally means it's not happening.

That's weird. Last week he said he couldn't see Harper signing with anyone but the Cubs.

Just now, skooch said:

Keep as many players at the table as possible. The more suitors (real or perceived) the more it benefits them. Boras is playing a game. The next meaningful thing Boras says will be when he announces who he will finally sign with.

just to play devils advocate, what he said is exactly what you would do if you want to get other teams to think the WSox are frontrunners for him.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hopefully Harper doesn't find out we suck at signing good free agents and developing players. Nah but this stuff is no shock. Every agent gives their big time free agent this type of info. The only players that don't get it, are one's pimping themselves out for a contract. 

I'm sure the White Sox gave them a binder with their prospects written up. 

Just now, The Sir said:

I'm not putting too much stock in it, but it is positive for us. No, Harper's not going to track the daily rise and fall of Luis Basabe's OPS like us geeks do, but if his agent is saying they are considering the long-term chances of each team, I think it can let us relax from losing 100 games last year. I just think these sorts of statements show that's not really on the radar anymore. We have young talent, and we're gonna be real good in the future. If Bryce is seriously looking at what his suitors are going to be like several years from now, I think that speaks well of our chances.

This was always the case. A 10 year contract means you need to look long term. Teams he likes may look good now but have no help on the way. We protect him from our 100 loss season by offering an opt out. 

Just now, The Sir said:

Building a brand? He can do that on the Southside. He comes to us and he is instantly the star. Not gonna be that way in LA, where he'll still be second-tier to Kershaw and probably others.

And the 4th most popular player on the Cubs possibly (5th if Ross is a bench coach)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

just to play devils advocate, what he said is exactly what you would do if you want to get other teams to think the WSox are frontrunners for him.

Honestly, he would be doing a disservice to his client to play it any other way.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Of the teams rumored to be in on him, how would you rank the ownerships regarding providing every opportunity to win?

Sox dead last. But fortunately for us, we finally did a rebuild and are going after top free agents, so we can show we really want to win now. 

• bmags locked this topic