Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

15 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I REALLY want to be believe this. And where the Dodgers and Cubs are at only helps us. And honestly the trades both teams have to make, not sure it actually improves their team. 

I think the Cubs definitely feel that way about subtracting from their team, besides Heyward of course. It's funny because I was pissed off when they got him and spent all that money for everyone else, but in hindsight it's helped us.

Edited by whitesoxwinner

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

The dodgers aren't gonna offer 300 million imo, but even if they did I believe he would take 350 million from the white sox over that deal from the dodgers. 50 million would be a lot of money to leave on the table. Also depends on opt-outs and other stuff

And I’m guessing our current offer isn’t necessarily as high as we’d go, but $50M should be enough to force Harper’s hand.

Anyone else notice that when someone says something positive about the Sox signing Harper or the favorite for Harper, many people in this thread go "Hell yea! Here we go!", yet when a writer downplays it or says other teams have a better shot, many of those same people yell "BS! He's full of shit! He doesn't know anything, just guessing!".

Don't trust Levine, don't trust Nightengale, don't trust Bowden.

Hell, be skeptical about all of them. But unless it's one of the big dick swingers like Heyman, Rosenthal, Morosi, Sherman maybe, just consider it noise and don't get too high or too low.

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Anyone else notice that when someone says something positive about the Sox signing Harper or the favorite for Harper, many people in this thread go "Hell yea! Here we go!", yet when a writer downplays it or says other teams have a better shot, many of those same people yell "BS! He's full of shit! He doesn't know anything, just guessing!".

Hell, be skeptical about all of them. But unless it's one of the big dick swingers like Heyman, Rosenthal, Morosi, Sherman maybe, just consider it noise and don't get too high or too low.

I've definitely noticed.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I mean, let’s be honest, there’s an objective reason for any rumor.  In our case, I feel pretty confident Boras is leaking this “Sox are in the lead” narrative to force teams to pony up, while we’re using to Nightengale to counter that.  To me, this is all good news because everything aligns to sugest we’re currently in the lead.

The  Dodgers could  easily clear the salary if they wanted to.  Just give away 3 still productive players on 1-year contracts (Kemp, Puig and Wood). May have to give a prospect with Kemp - he makes too much. But do they want to?  It's not really Friedman's m.o.

The Cubs would have a tougher time - they'd have to trade Chatwood and Heyward.  Chatwood  would require 1 top prospect for someone to eat that nasty salary for 2 years.
Heyward is basically paid twice what he should be  - $21 million, when he's worthy maybe $8-10 million; and for 5 years.  That  would require a good player like Happ plus 2 top prospects.
That's a high price to pay for Harper. I don't see it happening.

Edited by GreenSox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, let’s be honest, there’s an objective reason for any rumor.  In our case, I feel pretty confident Boras is leaking this “Sox are in the lead” narrative to force teams to pony up, while we’re using to Nightengale to counter that.  To me, this is all good news because everything aligns to sugest we’re currently in the lead.

Will white sox outbid the team that takes the lead  for harper then.

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The nightengale piece/tweet was obviously something put out by the white sox imo, and most of the stuff we do that on is speculative stuff, so of course we're going to have that reaction. 

Morosi did say tonight that we're going to have the highest offer for either harper or machado

8 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

"Hey I took care of that thing for ya!"

Seriously, Pete "The Killer" still plays the antagonist in my nightmares.

Lol absolutely. Anytime anyone asks a stupid question I want to give them the Paulie face when the guy asks him jokingly to whack Tommy 

• bmags locked this topic