Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Boras is playing everyone for fools he does this everyyear putting interest in the media trying to draw up a bidding war for his client. We know what the barometer is The Nationals have said they won't go more then 300 million. The Yankees have said the same via Machado.

Boras was ten years 400 million. With a bunch of opt out closes because why not. We'd be a fool to give it to him. Hell we'd be a fool to give him 300 million but that is what he'll likely get.

The thing is Harper is coming off two down seasons. This beyond stupid neither of these players are Arod. Or Trout. They are capable of putting that kind of season together but if it's 10 years 30-40 million you have to consistently be a 6-10 WAR player. Neither guy is that. I'd be running away from both guys or Machado case jogging.

"Two down years" where he OPS'd over 1.000 in 1 and had an .393 OBP in the other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rosenthal didn’t really say anything new, but he definitely put together a pretty convincing argument for us signing Harper.  Really sounds like he’s ours for the taking if Uncle Jerry will spend.

That is very big IF for jerry.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Just ban Peavy already. I'm sorry if he happens to have some sort of "condition" but let's get real. He's bringing down the quality of Harper convo.

Again, if you don't like him, ignore him.  We aren't gonna be entertaining much of the name calling anymore for anyone involved.  

Keep it it to the topic

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I pretty much disagree with this entire post and am glad you are not GM.

That is fine it would be a pretty boring existence if everyone agreed with each other. But I'll at least add some facts to the discussion Harper was worth 1.3 WAR last season. Harper has had three seasons where he been worth 1.5 WAR or less. He has averaged 2.5 WAR, 3.2 WAR/650 PA the last three years.

His defense has been awful and he plays a non premium position. He's valuable hitter but so was JD Martinez. One got 5/110 the other is looking for 10/400. Since 2014 JD Martinez has averaged 5.5 WAR/650, Harper since he was called up 5.0 WAR/650. Sure Harper is younger but he also wants to get paid 40 million until he is 36 and if he is averaging 40 million count me as skeptical he builds much if any surplus value to offset those later years. . JD Martinez will get paid 48 million in first two and if he doesn't opt out around 63 million over his next 3 or 21 AAV taking him through ages 32,33,34.

Edited by wrathofhahn

• bmags locked this topic