Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Isn't trading Puig more about opening a spot in the OF? Also, wouldn't moving Bellinger to 1B full-time open up another spot?

Bellinger is the best centerfielder they've got.  Muncy is probably gonna continue at 1B.

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Isn't trading Puig more about opening a spot in the OF? Also, wouldn't moving Bellinger to 1B full-time open up another spot? I know they're pretty deep in the OF.

Their projected payroll right now is about $195 mil. If they want to make a competitive offer for Harper (assuming no other additions) I think they need to clear about $20 mil. 

The Cubs would need to clear about $30 mil considering they're still looking at relievers and might need someone for 2b. 

Edited by Sockin

I've lived in Manhattan, San Diego, D.C, downtown Chicago, and a few other places .  Philly is 100% a crappy place, LA is overrated and nowhere near as gorgeous as the rest of SoCal, but for a star like Harper/Machado you really can't deny the allure, and NY while gross is an amazing place to be as a young person (if you can afford it).  Truly can do anything you want at any time and the food/nightlife/options are crazy.

I love Chicago and live here for a reason.  But if you embrace NY it can be a really cool place.

Edited by username
  • Love 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah definitely. And even Muncy is a guy who moved around a lot. He was definitely fun to have on my bench in fantasy last year.

Yeah Muncy even is another guy they could plug at 2B.  Turner can play 1B and they can move Taylor or Muncy to 3B even.  They also have Freeze still too.

15 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Puig and Wood are making roughly 15 million next season. Bailey is making 23. So the Dodgers would be increasing payroll if that proposed deal happened. I don't get the reasoning behind that if they're serious about Harper.

I think Bailey is actually like $28M with the option buyout. 

10 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

My understanding of it is that the Dodgers would essentially be "buying" prospects because they're taking on Bailey's salary. That is fine in of itself, but makes no sense if they're serious about Harper. They need to free up salaries if they want him, not acquire more dead money. Very strange.

Ok but then doesn't that also mean that Wood is like being given away? Am I wrong for liking Alex wood at that point? Is he bad? I feel like he's kinda okay. I obviously see few dodgers games.

43 minutes ago, fathom said:

God does this feel so much like a college basketball recruiting war where you just hope Kentucky and Duke don't offer due to not having a scholarship, yet you know it's possible they're trying to free up a scholarship.  Too bad signing day isn't here.

I mentioned the same thing earlier.  We are after one and dones and have Bruce Weber recruiting, coming off a 2-16 year in the Big 10, and are selling everything going almost perfectly.  He would need a booster with too much money. We need JR willing to pay too much money.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, username said:

I've lived in Manhattan, San Diego, D.C, downtown Chicago, and a few other places .  Philly is 100% a crappy place, LA is overrated and nowhere near as gorgeous as the rest of SoCal, but for a star like Harper/Machado you really can't deny the allure, and NY while gross is an amazing place to be as a young person (if you can afford it).  Truly can do anything you want at any time and the food/nightlife/options are crazy.

I love Chicago and live here for a reason.  But if you embrace NY it can be a really cool place.

I gave you the reaction for your Philly comments. Terrible city.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

By all means I hope they do it, that would make it even harder for them to free up enough money to get Harper.

As i mentioned before, by making this trade and taking on Bailey, MLB Network explained that through some accounting tricks it actually lowers their payroll for 2019 for luxury tax purposes so it would free up more money to pursue Harper.  I think Bailey makes more on the back end or something...

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Hmmm before this it was only said that the Reds want the Dodgers to take him but nothing confirming the Dodgers actually would nor wanted him. Having said that, I would assume Kemp would go in the same or another deal (a team that is on Nelson Cruz like the Twins, Rays or Astros for a year).

Edited by soxfan2014

This is going to sound ignorant but If I were a GM of one of these teams that tried to dump salary to sign a big time player I would never do it. It just a bailing out their bad contracts and allowing the same teams to get better. What’s the benefit?

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Hmmm before this it was only said that the Reds want the Dodgers to take him but nothing confirming the Dodgers actually would nor wanted him. Having said that, I would assume Kemp would go in the same or another deal (a team that is on Nelson Cruz like the Twins, Rays or Astros for a year).

Its been bandied about for a few days that the Dodgers are interested in taking back Bailey in exchange for Wood and Puig, and the Dodgers get prospects.  

• bmags locked this topic