Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

This is going to sound ignorant but If I were a GM of one of these teams that tried to dump salary to sign a big time player I would never do it. It just a bailing out their bad contracts and allowing the same teams to get better. What’s the benefit?

It happens in the NBA a lot too. This never works out for the team on the other end, unless their goal is to hand over titles. 

Just now, Sockin said:

This is going to sound ignorant but If I were a GM of one of these teams that tried to dump salary to sign a big time player I would never do it. It just a bailing out their bad contracts and allowing the same teams to get better. What’s the benefit?

It has to do with if it makes them better or not. Obviously the Reds would not do it if they didn't think they would benefit.  I would think at least now that benefit would have to be pretty big.

13 minutes ago, Special K said:

As i mentioned before, by making this trade and taking on Bailey, MLB Network explained that through some accounting tricks it actually lowers their payroll for 2019 for luxury tax purposes so it would free up more money to pursue Harper.  I think Bailey makes more on the back end or something...

The luxury tax hit would still be 17.5 million for next year. Unless they're able to unload kemp in that deal, they aren't saving money

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Time to be on top of the moon! until later when we here another rumor about LA or the cubs

The correct answer is the only people who know the truth are Boras and Harper. I doubt even Hahn and KW know what's actually happening, as keeping GMs in the dark is part of Boras' negotiating schtick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic