Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

Just now, G&T said:

well there’s another way to read the quote. It could be that Hahn and Harper have agreed on a number and JR hasn’t authorized the final amount and, therefore, hasn’t authorized final contract negotiations. It would signal to other teams that they aren’t drafting paperwork so no deal is imminent. Which may or may not be true. 

Yeah I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if true.  I do have a conspiracy theiry that the reason there’s been none offered is because Manny is the one they’re trying to get under the radar right now.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if true.  I do have a conspiracy theiry that the reason there’s been none offered is because Manny is the one they’re trying to get under the radar right now.

The longer this drags out, I start leaning to thinking the Sox are trying to get both of these guys.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t see a scenario where the Sox limit their ability to get one of those guys. They made an offer. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s zero chance the Sox haven’t made an offer yet.  With an open bidding process, you force an indication of interest to weed out the players that don’t matter.  And it’s clear as day that we’re prioritizing Harper over Machado.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s zero chance the Sox haven’t made an offer yet.  With an open bidding process, you force an indication of interest to weed out the players that don’t matter.  And it’s clear as day that we’re prioritizing Harper over Machado.

They aren’t meeting with Machado until next week is what I heard, is that the latest rumor?

Here is something that I have been thinking a lot about lately. 

Serious question: Assuming the offers are the same, why would Harper choose the Phillies over the White Sox? Trying to take my bias out, it seems like signing with the Sox would be a no-brainer. Same money, easier division to compete in, better hitters ballpark, and mire up and coming players.

What am I missing?

4 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Soxtalk pays a lot of money to be entertained during the meetings.  

Not sure what you mean by this.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The channel based on MLB baseball sure makes a spectacle of it. It’s been entertaining in years past. I think it’s normal to be disappointed with the action as a big baseball fan.

4 hours ago, aeichhor said:

But they usually are a place that trades and signing happen and it's been pretty quiet 

4 hours ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Then why have 24/7 coverage and be on location?

According to Wikipedia, baseball offseason meetings began in 1876 and became an annual thing in 1901.  The owners, execs, etc. are meeting to conduct business.  The media has turned them into a spectacle, but they would still take place if there was no media coverage.

13 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Here is something that I have been thinking a lot about lately. 

Serious question: Assuming the offers are the same, why would Harper choose the Phillies over the White Sox? Trying to take my bias out, it seems like signing with the Sox would be a no-brainer. Same money, easier division to compete in, better hitters ballpark, and mire up and coming players.

What am I missing?

The dodgers are the team worry about here what if they offer $300 million and wsox offer $350 million would harper leave $50 million left behind.

Edited by peavy44

• bmags locked this topic