White Sox take in Tulo workout

LittleHurt05

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

If that was the case, why wouldn't the Blue Jays have simply told him that he can't play SS, and let him retire? Wouldn't that have saved them the $38 Million?

No, Tulo would not just walk away.   He's gonna get his money. Toronto did what they did because of the enema factor.  They just want him gone.

He's the kind of guy that 8/10 won't work out because of injury and age, but the kind of guy I still think the Sox should explore if we don't do well on the Manny and Harper  signings.

Tulo graded out as an above avg. defender going back to his last healthy season. His bat was always dangerous back in the day. The chances are that he's no more than a Yolmer type, but when you have no real 3B, he's not a bad cheap option to bring in.

Tulo at first hated the trade to Toronto.  My understanding back then, based on hearsay (or I just can't remember the source), was that Tulo could not easily get his dogs into Canada.  I'm not familiar with dog laws up there these days.  I'm not making excuses for him, just sayin'...….

7 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Tulo at first hated the trade to Toronto.  My understanding back then, based on hearsay (or I just can't remember the source), was that Tulo could not easily get his dogs into Canada.  I'm not familiar with dog laws up there these days.  I'm not making excuses for him, just sayin'...….

Yeah if he owned pit bulls they're banned in Ontario.  I believe Mark Buehrle had the same issues when he got traded there by the Marlins.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Forgive my ignorance, and I'm not suggesting or expecting the Sox to be seriously interested in him, but if he signs with another team does he still get the owed money from Toronto?  Or is the signing team on the hook for it?

The new team gets him for the minimum salary, and Toronto is on the hook for the rest.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

He had a NTC he waived it to go to Tor.

He also I believe (not confirmed) had a NTC still which is probably why he was released. It would have been impossible to navigate the money, return, and NTC. It's hard enough for a player like Cano who is still playing well.

Edit:

As far as his workout goes he still wants to play SS but can't could probably play 3B. Problem is he can't hit. Like I said unless he had some sort of injury at the time that was affecting things I saw him play a bunch of games in 2017 his bat is slow, long, and he guesses to try and speed it up. Even in 2016 I saw much as the same thing.

Edited by wrathofhahn

35 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He had a NTC he waived it to go to Tor.

He also I believe (not confirmed) had a NTC still which is probably why he was released. It would have been impossible to navigate the money, return, and NTC. It's hard enough for a player like Cano who is still playing well.

Edit:

As far as his workout goes he still wants to play SS but can't could probably play 3B. Problem is he can't hit. Like I said unless he had some sort of injury at the time that was affecting things I saw him play a bunch of games in 2017 his bat is slow, long, and he guesses to try and speed it up. Even in 2016 I saw much as the same thing.

Actually, he was tradable with his original contract.  He had a clause in there that gave him a $1 Million bonus if traded, which Rockies paid.

I'd definitely add him to the mix for $560k or whatever ML min is this season.  Why the heck not?  

That being said, if the reports are true that he basically only wants to play SS, then I doubt we'll get him.  He is also a west coast guy, so I bet we see him sign with the A's, Angels or Giants.  Or Dodgers, would definitely be a Dodger move, even though there is really no room for him there. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd definitely add him to the mix for $560k or whatever ML min is this season.  Why the heck not?  

That being said, if the reports are true that he basically only wants to play SS, then I doubt we'll get him.  He is also a west coast guy, so I bet we see him sign with the A's, Angels or Giants.  Or Dodgers, would definitely be a Dodger move, even though there is really no room for him there. 

I can see him go to the A's to play 2B.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He isn't very good even in the article posted he said the main thing he wants right now is everyday at bats.

I would prefer all of our existing MI starters over Tulo. Sanchez is better at this point.  Maybe he accepts a utility INF role with the cubs but he wasn't going to with the Jays and he won't here. So why bother?

Seriously watch some of his at bats last year. He looked completely done.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

He isn't very good even in the article posted he said the main thing he wants right now is everyday at bats.

I would prefer all of our existing MI starters over Tulo. Sanchez is better at this point.  Maybe he accepts a utility INF role with the cubs but he wasn't going to with the Jays and he won't here. So why bother?

First off, Yolmer isn't very good.  I'd definitely take a healthy Tulo (which is a big if) as a starter at 3B (if MM ship sails) at the major league minimum over Yolmer. If he doesn't workout, there is literally nothing lost.  Yolmer will still be there.  $500k is nothing for the Sox.  Its worth the extremely minimal risk, and clearly they're at least somewhat interested since someone went to watch his workout.  

The Jays just wanted to move on.  It wasn't due to accepting or not accepting.  They have other options and Tulo was just a distraction at this point.  Alot of baseball people are also scratching their head at the Jays decision to just cut him loose.

Tulo isn't signing with the Sox though. He's going to sign with someone out west. 

11 minutes ago, mrichar4 said:

With the recent update to the Addison Russell fiasco, I would bet on the Cubs over the field. I can't imagine the Cubs will want to keep Russell around, and a lottery ticket Tulo could spell Baez et al infield.

They just signed Descalso