White Sox looking at Grandal

justBLAZE

1 hour ago, Tony said:

As I said in the Nova thread, The White Sox adding Nova and Grandal, and not coming away with Harper or Machado after Kenny puffed his chest would be so classic White Sox, words can't accurately describe. 

This is the mentality I don’t understand from this board....if a bottom 5 team that is still smack dab in the middle of a rebuild doesn’t sign 1 of the 2 biggest free agent super stars it’s a disappointment? In what world? It’s a novel idea and I’m sure the front office is giving it the old college try, but to think that either are signing here is more than a hope and prayer is naive in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

> has flashbacks to Toby Hall / shudders 

I'm shocked at how many here do not seem to be on board with exploring a Grandal signing. He has been one of the best starting catchers in the league and is available for only money (and draft/international pool money). He would be a substantial upgrade for the Sox.

46 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It came up on the first page. And i have a feeling a lot of people believe we would be giving up a draft pick for Harper anyway so what's another?

I also feel like if we get him then we would end up trading Castillo at some point which would probably get a return to offset or more the lost pick. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm shocked at how many here do not seem to be on board with exploring a Grandal signing. He has been one of the best starting catchers in the league and is available for only money (and draft/international pool money). He would be a substantial upgrade for the Sox.

That's not what I meant... I meant the lost season due to him tearing up his shoulder in ST "getting reps" at 1B.

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I also feel like if we get him then we would end up trading Castillo at some point which would probably get a return to offset or more the lost pick. 

I doubt you're going to get much value for a fairly highly paid catcher who would be under contract for a couple months and who has a steroid suspension in their background.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is not the message the front office has been sending. The message they have been sending is this is offseason is going to be different, they are ready to spend. 

That's great. We all welcome that. But with that type of talk, expectations get significantly raised. 

Again if they offer everything they have, which is what they are saying, and Harper/Machado turn them down, how is that a negative?

The FO narrative doesn't change, they offered everything.

Edited by ptatc

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This is the mentality I don’t understand from this board....if a bottom 5 team that is still smack dab in the middle of a rebuild doesn’t sign 1 of the 2 biggest free agent super stars it’s a disappointment? In what world? It’s a novel idea and I’m sure the front office is giving it the old college try, but to think that either are signing here is more than a hope and prayer is naive in my opinion. 

Its a disappointment if they don't sign them, sure. But I don't think it's the type of disappointment you might be referring to... Its like getting a new Bike for Christmas, but not the brand/style you want. The Sox being in the news as a player for two of the best generational talents in the league is a big deal. And it will be kinda shitty to not see them play on the south side. But hell, at least they tried. That's the disappointment, at least for me.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I doubt you're going to get much value for a fairly highly paid catcher who would be under contract for a couple months and who has a steroid suspension in their background.

He is actually fairly cheap (~$7mil), has a team option so the team has control if he does well and no costs if he doesn't, and I don't think teams really care about steroid suspensions once the player can play games again. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

This is not the message the front office has been sending. The message they have been sending is this is offseason is going to be different, they are ready to spend. 

That's great. We all welcome that. But with that type of talk, expectations get significantly raised. 

My point was more that you're making it seem like signing 1 of these super stars is like picking up something up at the grocery store. It's a 2 way street. If the front office throws a bunch of $ at them and they choose to sign elsewhere what can you do? Excitement for the possibility is 1 thing, but disappointment if the sox don't sign Harper/Machado doesn't make sense to me.   

Not to mention that a move like Grandal and others 1st makes a ton of sense. Why would Harper come to the Sox with their current roster? Making the team better can only help

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Who’s fault is it that the grocery store has a rotten stock of inventory? Who’s fault is it that management hasn’t made the grocery store an attractive destination? 

Again, have the Sox really been bad for so long expectations are this low?!? You have the front office telling you things are going to be different, but the fans saying “Aw shucks you guys tried your hardest, it’s OK. Good effort buddy” 

Lets raise the bar. 

Your grocery store analogies have changed my perspective on life.  🤪

Honestly, you're 100% on this.  They've been conditioning people with garbage for so long anything against the grain is met with positivity.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

Who’s fault is it that the grocery store has a rotten stock of inventory? Who’s fault is it that management hasn’t made the grocery store an attractive destination? 

Again, have the Sox really been bad for so long expectations are this low?!? You have the front office telling you things are going to be different, but the fans saying “Aw shucks you guys tried your hardest, it’s OK. Good effort buddy” 

Lets raise the bar. 

I wanted a new front office years ago. It’s not about making excuses for anyone. It’s beeing realistic about the situation. There are other teams vying for their services that are more attractive destinations, it’s an undeniable fact. 

• Thanks 1