White Sox looking at Grandal

justBLAZE

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I 100% agree with this, and I want to be clear. I think the odds are still low we land either, for the reasons you just described. 

But here is what I’ve tried to explain that people don’t seem to grasp: The Front Office has decided to take the aggressive approach with the fans and media this offseason. The comments from Kenny especially have told us this offseason is different, the Sox want to be players, this is the time, etc. They didn’t have to say that. They could have taken a much more conservative approach like they have the last two seasons. But they didn’t. And you know what? 

That’s great! I’m glad they want to be aggressive! I’m into it! But if “my” front office wants to come out guns blazing, then as a fan, my expectations have now been raised. You are going to sell me on that? Then deliver.

Thats what I’m saying. 

Exactly. And if your best shot isn’t good enough, it is time for someone else. If Theo or the Dodgers or the Yankees or the Red Sox were sitting on the White Sox payroll and they decided they needed Harper or Machado, they get Harper or Machado. If money is no object and you can’t close the sale, sorry White Sox and White Sox ownership need someone  who can. They put their eggs in this year’s basket, show us what you’ve got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Is it a negative they tried? No. 

Is it a negative they failed? Yes. 

We as Sox fans need to stop treating this professional franchise as some sort of injured puppy. This is literally giving them a participation trophy. 

O look as it the other way. I'm  not looking at them as an injured puppy. I'm looking at them as they aggressively went for it. If Harper signs elsewhere for less than 350, I will blame the Sox for not offering the money. If he signs for north of 400, I will not blame them one bit for not exceeding those demands. Just because the Sox don't land him, doesn't mean it's a failure. There comes a point where it's a smart move not to get him.

Just now, ptatc said:

O look as it the other way. I'm  not looking at them as an injured puppy. I'm looking at them as they aggressively went for it. If Harper signs elsewhere for less than 350, I will blame the Sox for not offering the money. If he signs for north of 400, I will not blame them one bit for not exceeding those demands. Just because the Sox don't land him, doesn't mean it's a failure. There comes a point where it's a smart move not to get him.

But they better have a plan B though that helps the core going forward and isn't just going to try and help them win 75 games this season.  It seems like 2018 on the field (and injuries) was such a disaster that they're feeling the need to energize the fan base.

Just now, fathom said:

But they better have a plan B though that helps the core going forward and isn't just going to try and help them win 75 games this season.  It seems like 2018 on the field (and injuries) was such a disaster that they're feeling the need to energize the fan base.

No doubt. i'm  just referring to the point that it isnt a failure if they don't sign Harper at any cost. I'm fine with Machado if Harper is cost prohibitive.

If Machado really wants to play in NY and takes less to play there, they need to look elsewhere for upgrades that make long term sense.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. i'm  just referring to the point that it isnt a failure if they don't sign Harper at any cost. I'm fine with Machado if Harper is cost prohibitive.

If Machado really wants to play in NY and takes less to play there, they need to look elsewhere for upgrades that make long term sense.

Yep, I just want two core players that you can expect to be quality caliber players come 2020-2022 on the Sox.  They massively failed doing this last offseason, so they need to be more aggressive.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, I just want two core players that you can expect to be quality caliber players come 2020-2022 on the Sox.  They massively failed doing this last offseason, so they need to be more aggressive.

I agreed with them not doing it last season. They really didn't know what they had in the minors and didn't know what they would really need. After last year, they have a better idea where they need to go. It's a rare opportunity to get players like Harper or Machado where they haven't reached their prime yet. If they get them, they speed up the clock (like the Bears with Mack). If they don't, they should focus on the long term and start to make improvements from that point of view.

19 hours ago, bmags said:

I would be pro Grandal because it has really bothered me that a rebuild full of young pitchers has given them garbage defensive catchers and framers. I don't care if we pay an FA price for it.

Maybe Grandal's postseason was a sign of things to come, but presuming it isn't, he's been flat out a very productive player and would be a massive upgrade for the Sox.  They need quite a few of those if they are going to contend.  

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

According to an LA Times reporter, Grandal turned down 4 yrs/$60M from the Mets, so they changed course and signed Ramos.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-whats-next-20181228-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wow, I’d be surprised if he bests that. 

On 12/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, ptatc said:

I agreed with them not doing it last season. They really didn't know what they had in the minors and didn't know what they would really need. 

They really still don't.  None of them have proven to be major league regulars, much less studs.  In the minors, only Eloy is close among the top tier (maybe Cease).   There are some obvious gaps, like 3B however.

Edited by GreenSox

On 12/28/2018 at 8:28 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

According to an LA Times reporter, Grandal turned down 4 yrs/$60M from the Mets, so they changed course and signed Ramos.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-whats-next-20181228-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That was stupid.  I'd toss him a 4 yr/48 mil deal.  

• Like 1