Jackie Bradley Jr

bmags

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Are you saying that a sinker and something like a knuckleball don't spin less than a 4 seam fast ball? The physics behind it is the airflow which does change with the DIRECTION of the seams, this is the difference in all pitches including the 2 seam and 4 seam fastballs. I thought I read that the 2 seam does spin less as well.

I looked it up. Sinker highest spin rate guy was 2450 rpm and 4 seamer was 2600. So there might be a small effect but it also might be selection bias due to high spin guys being pushed towards 4 seamer. 

But the biggest effect is that less seams are grabbing the air with a sinker.

Now knuckle balls especially and also splitters and change ups do have a lower spin rates due to being deeper in the hand.

4 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Not sure how their IF depth is shaping out. Yolmer for JBJ is reasonable if they want IF depth. I'm thinking they'll want relievers, though. 

The reason they want to free up money is to use it on relievers. I don't know if they would qualify Nate Jones as a reliable reliever because I sure as hell don't.

They won't want Yolmer since they already have Holt. I know he has health issues but I still like Jones.  I would guess we would have to give up prospects which might be counter-productive. Red Sox look pretty set except for bullpen and maybe a young SP. 

JBJ is probably a Theo pick so Cubs may have interest. 

9 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Call me crazy but I'll take three years of Yolmer over one year of JBJ. Boston can keep JBJ and I'll happily keep Yolmer.

Agree.  The zeal for 1 year players is bizarre.  
And Yolmer is a solid utility guy who should improve and who's numbers would be much better if  used more judiciously.  He's Marwin Gonzales but for that 1 freak year.

Edited by GreenSox

4 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Sure, let's just ignore age, contract, WAR, and the Red Sox goal of shedding salary. 

I am not ignoring any of that. JBJ, while I don’t want him, is a starting caliber Major League Baseball player that plays elite defense. 

Yolmer at best is a glove first utility guy that while be lucky to be playing Major League Baseball in 3-4 seasons. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not ignoring any of that. JBJ, while I don’t want him, is a starting caliber Major League Baseball player that plays elite defense. 

Yolmer at best is a glove first utility guy that while be lucky to be playing Major League Baseball in 3-4 seasons. 

I haven't seen a Sox player disrespected like this in a while. Yolmer out up a 2.6 war according to baseball reference last year. Fangraphs isn't as kind to him in the WAR department. Yolmer is a solid hitter, while playing elite 3B and 2B, with the ability to play SS. Also a top tier dugout guy. He will be in the MLB in 3-4 years.  

22 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I haven't seen a Sox player disrespected like this in a while. Yolmer out up a 2.6 war according to baseball reference last year. Fangraphs isn't as kind to him in the WAR department. Yolmer is a solid hitter, while playing elite 3B and 2B, with the ability to play SS. Also a top tier dugout guy. He will be in the MLB in 3-4 years.  

Yolmer is a good utility man that was clearly overmatched in full time duty. He’s also not going to be that cheap anymore. He’s a fine player, but he’s not nearly valuable enough to acquire 2 years of JBJ. Sorry. 

10 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Agree.  The zeal for 1 year players is bizarre.  
And Yolmer is a solid utility guy who should improve and who's numbers would be much better if  used more judiciously.  He's Marwin Gonzales but for that 1 freak year.

He has two years.

Once more everyone, he has two years.