Jackie Bradley Jr

bmags

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know Boston's payroll is pretty high but would they really make themselves that much worse next season by giving up a starting position player for nearly nothing?

I think the package would need to be including Porcello.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm actually surprised how well Glasnow pitched for Tampa

I'm not. Apparently the Pirates are one of the last teams really stressing two seamers down in the zone as the basis of pitching and making all of their guys do it. As soon as he went to the Rays his velo and spin rate spiked and his fastball location was much higher in the zone, which seems to indicate the Rays had him move to what most of the league is doing with high spin rate four seamers up in the zone. That change, and some others I can't remember, were quick fixes that an analytically inclined team like the Rays were able to easily identify as problems and things they could fix that would make him look better than what his numbers with the Pirates would suggest.

This is actually why I have some hope about the Nova trade. The Pirates aren't just not good, they are actively making some of their pitchers worse by making them all use the same pitching strategy even if it doesn't play to their strengths. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'm not. Apparently the Pirates are one of the last teams really stressing two seamers down in the zone as the basis of pitching and making all of their guys do it. As soon as he went to the Rays his velo and spin rate spiked and his fastball location was much higher in the zone, which seems to indicate the Rays had him move to what most of the league is doing with high spin rate four seamers up in the zone. That change, and some others I can't remember, were quick fixes that an analytically inclined team like the Rays were able to easily identify as problems and things they could fix that would make him look better than what his numbers with the Pirates would suggest.

This is actually why I have some hope about the Nova trade. The Pirates aren't just not good, they are actively making some of their pitchers worse by making them all use the same pitching strategy even if it doesn't play to their strengths. 

In a week full of awful posts, this might be the best.  thank you

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Except Nova had his career best stretch (or at least one of his best stretches) right after he got to the Pirates?

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

It's so crazy given where the Pirates started.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Except Nova had his career best stretch (or at least one of his best stretches) right after he got to the Pirates?

He did, but it was in a smaller sample and he switched leagues so he may have had the advantage of batters not being familiar with him. That said, Hahn did just make mention of his ground ball ability, so it seems like they like him for what he is and not what he could be changed into, so the Glasnow comparison probably doesn't matter for Nova.