Plan if Sox miss out on Harper/Machado

ChiSox59

A brief discussion in the Harper mega-thread about what to do if the Sox miss out on Harper/Machado got me thinking.  If both guys end up elsewhere in the coming weeks, how does that pivot your plan for 2019?  Do you still try to build a team that has a chance of being interesting, or just go to battle with what we have?

Discuss, share ideas, etc..

Won't be looking good if we don't get either of the two...

but for 2019 that means another year of 100% rebuilding... trading Abreu for prospects, loading up on RP to flip at the deadline, maybe signing 1 or 2 vets to shore things up and maybe flip at the dead line.

I'm good either way but hope they add some bridge guys.  We already started doing that with Nova.  Some vet outfielders like Span, Granderson, CarGo, Adam Jones on one year deals, maybe even a vet 2B like Dozier or even Murphy.  That is obviously is if they feel like Yoan should move to 3B.  Perhaps a few bullpen arms?  Another flier starting pitcher (Fiers?  Ervin Santana?)  Any of these guys put in a good year and we get behind quick in the standings, you flip em for more farm.

Edited by bschmaranz

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A brief discussion in the Harper mega-thread about what to do if the Sox miss out on Harper/Machado got me thinking.  If both guys end up elsewhere in the coming weeks, how does that pivot your plan for 2019?  Do you still try to build a team that has a chance of being interesting, or just go to battle with what we have?

Discuss, share ideas, etc..

Move to Iceland.

Seriously, I would wait on prospects. While looking for a couple of FA that fill a need that the minors don't look like they will provide.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Won't be looking good if we don't get either of the two...

but for 2019 that means another year of 100% rebuilding... trading Abreu for prospects, loading up on RP to flip at the deadline, maybe signing 1 or 2 vets to shore things up and maybe flip at the dead line.

Not saying you’re wrong, but this will kill the fan base.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Don't press the panic button. Sign some stop gaps to try to flip in July or next off-season. 

Having said that, I've come around to the idea of Grandal. These young pitchers need a good defensive catcher.

I like the Grandal idea a lot too.  Not only to help the pitchers but also to help our young catchers.

Out of curiosity, what's the definition of a panic button move?  Are you saying Brantley or Pollock or more like trading prospects for now pieces?

Dig back into NPB. Gonna be a long year in Chicago.

Dayan Viciedo just signed a massive three year, ten million dollar extension with the Dragons. He was the CL batting champion last year!

Plus, my Rakuten Golden Eagles signed Hideto Asamura away from the lions. I’m so excited I’m buying a jersey. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

3 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I like the Grandal idea a lot too.  Not only to help the pitchers but also to help our young catchers.

Out of curiosity, what's the definition of a panic button move?  Are you saying Brantley or Pollock or more like trading prospects for now pieces?

The latter. I'm fine with Grandal no matter what, the young pitchers need a better receiver behind the plate. They could sign Brantley too all it costs is money. That should be it though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Dig back into NPB. Gonna be a long year in Chicago.

Dayan Viciedo just signed a massive three year, ten million dollar extension with the Dragons. He was the CL batting champion last year!

Plus, my Rakuten Golden Eagles signed Hideto Asamura away from the lions. I’m so excited I’m buying a jersey. 

Best Dragon since Jack Elliott.

14 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Wait on the prospects. No reason in blowing the cash just because we have it.

The problem with this is that the teams who rebuild and sustain success do so by signing too tier free agents. If we cannot sign top tier free agents we will be the Minnesota twins, winning crappy divisions but getting bounced every year with a whimper. That is not what I want. I want sustained success and championship caliber seasons. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The problem with this is that the teams who rebuild and sustain success do so by signing too tier free agents. If we cannot sign top tier free agents we will be the Minnesota twins, winning crappy divisions but getting bounced every year with a whimper. That is not what I want. I want sustained success and championship caliber seasons. 

out of the recent title winners, the Giants, Royals, and Astros all pretty much won their titles without signing a top tier FA. They were carried by huge performances out of guys their system developed and guys that they traded for out of their system. They did sign some FAs, but none of the top level people.