Plan if Sox miss out on Harper/Machado

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is 0% chance that Cordell, Delmonico or Sanchez are starters are the next White Sox team that makes the playoffs.  I have basically zero interest seeing the 2018 season on replay in 2019.    

So you'd rather run out Adam Jones and Curtis Granderson and pay a greater price for the privilege? Would you buy more tickets to see those guys? I'd say the chances of one of the guys you listed being on the next white sox team to make the playoffs is about equal to the chances that one of these end of career guys will be surprisingly good and tradeable for something useful, and that latter option is still more expensive. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He at least provides one elite skill.  He could be the 4th OF in future competitive seasons.  I definitely would prefer not watching Engel play 150 games in 2019, but if the Sox don't add meaningful FAs, I am OK giving him another chance, because there are basically no legit options on the FA market for CF other than Pollock.  

I'm a super patient guy with this team.  I cannot and honestly, not to WSD the team and make ultimatums and threats of mutiny, I probably won't watch them much this year if that guy is in the outfield more than once or twice a week.  I know options are minimal, work the damn trade market, find a possible low cost guy we can take a flier on (Toles in LA comes to mind).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you'd rather run out Adam Jones and Curtis Granderson and pay a greater price for the privilege? Would you buy more tickets to see those guys? I'd say the chances of one of the guys you listed being on the next white sox team to make the playoffs is about equal to the chances that one of these end of career guys will be surprisingly good and tradeable for something useful, and that latter option is still more expensive. 

Those two wouldn't be my first choices (I'd probably go with Cargo as first option off the list of cheap short term options I provided). But yah, I'd rather have Adam Jones or Curtis Granderson in LF than Nicky Delmonico in 2019.  I also think its fairly likely that both Jones and Granderson will be had for under $5M, and at that price, if they have decent seasons, they'd definitely be moveable to someone looking for depth in July.  The return likely won't be exciting, but you never know. 

As I just mentioned 3 posts above, I am not paying these guy's salaries, so the White Sox organization paying Adam Jones $3M in 2019 has zero affect on me, and it has zero affect on future years.  You always act like if the Sox save all this money now by not filling in its roster with veterans, the money is deposited in a bank account named "Future Free Agency Fund".  Hate to break it to you, but that's not how it works.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Flips don't work out as great as most people think. Swardzak got you Cordell. Big deal. Soria was paid around $6 or 7 million, he worked out as well as can be expected, and the guy he got you is somewhat meh. Couldn't the White Sox have bought that player from Milwaukee for half the amount they paid Soria?  

It works out great once in a while. But usually signing guys for $7 million or 8 million or 9 million and hoping to flip them is just a waste of money.

I would rather they sign some $1 million to $2 million guys and a shitload of minor league contract guys and load up Charlotte. See if any of them work out. Have a short leash. Release them if you need the room.

I just hope if Harper isn't coming here he'll be up front with the Sox and give them a shot at filling that gaping hole in RF.   My thoughts would be ok...he's going to the Dodgers so Dodgers clear a space for him.  I'd take Puig off their hands to fill that hole.