What should the max offer be for...

southsider2k5

Kind of a different thread, but to see what people think the highest pain points should be for Machado or Harper.

What should the highest offer to them be in terms of years/total salary/opt outs?  How high/long should the White Sox offer to get one of them, and what is too much?

Side question, has anyone broached the idea of offering a small minority ownership share to catch his interest?  If this is valued as a billion dollar franchise, a 1% stake would be worth $10 million and could catch his attention as something that really hasn't been done yet.  The question for me, is that something that is allowable?

• Like 1

Harper - 10 years/$385M, opt outs after years 4, 5, and 6

Machado - 10 years/$350M, similar opt outs

I would offer more to Harper only because I believe he would be more valuable to the franchise.

I never thought about an ownership clause.  That is an interesting idea.

I would max out at 10/$340 for both guys.

Structure as such:

Years 1-5: $50M, $50M, $45M, $45M, $40M (effective 5 year-$230M)

OPT OUT

Years 6-8: $30M, $30M, $30M (effective 8 year-$320M if first opt out is rejected)

OPT OUT

Years 9-10: $10M, $10M (10 year $340M if no opt outs are taken)

I think this is also the best bet to land one (or both) of these guys.  Highly frontloaded deal.  Doesn't kill the franchise on the back-end even if the player diminishes and doesn't opt out.  Keeps the player incentived to get another big pay day at age 31 after 5 years, which obviously is important to the team.

I think its a win-win structure.    

I don't think our FO should care if the deal is 35 mil a year or 45 a year. Front load the contract while payroll is low to take more of the hit. You'll have him here at least four years, and if you do well in that time frame, you figure out if you want to give jim another contract. I would be willing to offer 10 years and 450 million. 

10/375 for Harper with a front loaded structure with no opt out or a balanced structure with an opt out after years 4 and 6

10/350 for Machado with the same structure considerations depending on whether an opt out is necessary to get the job done. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Why do people want to give the better player less money? I say throw 10/$375 at both and see which one bites first. Structure:

50-45-45-/-45-45-45-/-40-/-25-20-15

/ = opt out

Um because Harper provides more in terms of excitability and marketability while Machado is seen as a non hustling dirty SOB. I know you know this but maybe don't believe it ? Machado is the anti Harper. He's been the consistently better player but Harper is till capable of higher upside. He's not quite Albert Belle crazy dirty psyhco but still with all social media now as opposed to back then he's getting much more bad press about it.

15 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think our FO should care if the deal is 35 mil a year or 45 a year. Front load the contract while payroll is low to take more of the hit. You'll have him here at least four years, and if you do well in that time frame, you figure out if you want to give jim another contract. I would be willing to offer 10 years and 450 million. 

10/450 is insane no matter how you slice it. Harper is a great talent, but he is not Trout. 

Teams are likely willing to go in the 320-350 range, but I would struggle to see the bidding go beyond that on a 10 year deal. 

10/340 would be my guess, with an opt out after 4 seasons at Harper's age 30

35 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

10/450 is insane no matter how you slice it. Harper is a great talent, but he is not Trout. 

Teams are likely willing to go in the 320-350 range, but I would struggle to see the bidding go beyond that on a 10 year deal. 

10/340 would be my guess, with an opt out after 4 seasons at Harper's age 30

If we were the Cubs or Yankees I'd agree. This team needs Harper to be relevant. If things go well we can be one of the faces of baseball via Harper and have a chance at 2 championships. I'd pay him a huge amount up front and bite the bullet if need be, then 35 million going down the line. Trout is the best player in baseball but let's be real, the fans view Harper as the face of baseball and so do the networks. Most people don't even know what Trout looks like.