What should the max offer be for...

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The thought of paying $40MM to a guy coming off a year where he hit .249 with 169 k's while playing putrid defense makes me want to cry. 

You also have to admit that looking at it that way is incredibly narrow minded. Harper has the potential to be a top 3 bat in baseball over the next 5 seasons. He has legit HOF potential at age 26, AND IS A FREE AGENT. You have to give up zero assets. These things cost money, and while it will be expensive and obviously there is risk, it’s a risk that this team is insolated enough to take. 

You know all this. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You also have to admit that looking at it that way is incredibly narrow minded. Harper has the potential to be a top 3 bat in baseball over the next 5 seasons. He has legit HOF potential at age 26, AND IS A FREE AGENT. You have to give up zero assets. These things cost money, and while it will be expensive and obviously there is risk, it’s a risk that this team is insolated enough to take. 

You know all this. 

I don't believe he has that type of potential. He's had 1 great year, 1 really good year and the rest have just been good. He's overrated. 

*edit*

Like I said yesterday, if we're talking about Lindor, Yelich, Trout etc, I'm buying. Harper? Meh. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There would be 15 teams that would take Harper at your suggested prices. Harper would have told Boras weeks ago to not relay contract negations from the White Sox until and if they get serious. 

My earlier price? Of course there would be thats a sign that the price is reasonable. If it's only one then you overpaid but inregards to the 10/300 there will be very few teams.

But that is besides the point with the leaked offer we have a starting point. None of this crazy 10/400 shit. When Stanton signed his deal he got 13/325 and when he got traded he basically had 10/295 left on his deal there were like three teams in all of baseball interested. Stanton at the time was coming off a 7.3 WAR season. Harper is coming off a 3.5 WAR season via fangraphs. Machado 6.2 via fangraphs. BRREF is much harder on both players.

So a season later two players who are by all objective measures worse are all of sudden worth 10 million extra AAV? I don't get it. But the FO will do what it wants I just hope if ownership decides to go stupid they don't open their checkbook half way because this team isn't a Machado or Harper away from winning and I hope we haven't been sold a rebuild just so we can mortgage the farm for a 2-3 window.