Greinke, Brantley & N. Cruz; why not?

59th street

Pouring $300 million plus AND a 10 year obligation for one guy seems questionable and worthy of alternative discussion. Especially given the likelihood that we will not be successful in signing either one of Harper or Machado.

I know Harper singe handedly helps increase the value of the franchise, but not enough on field impact to justify the cost to me.  Machado is a better on-field fit but still just one guy and has the same long term obligation issue.  I understand that these are once in a lifetime type Free Agents, given their youth and skill set.  I applaud the effort the White Sox are extending in their pursuit of each one, and I will be thrilled if we actually get one to sign......However; I believe consideration should be given to the following:

- Take on all of the remaining Z. Greinke  deal. Yes it is a large Annual Average Value but we have the $ and it is only $ (no prospects), Also , it is  a 3 year obligation; that gives us a top of the rotation starter and allows time for Kopech, Cease, Dunning et al to prove their worth.  Greinke is still very good and we are reportedly NOT on his no trade list.

- Sign M. Brantley.  He is a left handed hitter with high OBP skills. Good guy, very professional and no long term obligation, as a 3 year deal probably gets him now.  Allows several of our young high end OF prospects to develop and does not hurt the rebuild. He was back to good health last year.

-Sign Nelson Cruz as DH.  He is likely seeking 2 years and is a monster middle of the order hitter.  I am sure he would prefer a more playoff ready team but with Eloy, Abreu, Brantly and Cruz in the middle of our line up our run scoring ability goes way up. You could arguably "squint" and see a playoff caliber team in the AL Central for 2019.

I know we still have holes (like 3B & Catcher) but this seems like a better allocation of money and removes my fear of being financially crippled due to being obligated to ONE player (with player only opt outs) for 10 years.  Who knows if any of these guys would even want to be here but I think I would like to see what they could do for us in 2019 & 2020 while still developing our young studs.

Just my thoughts.  Feel free to tell me how wrong or impossible this is. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 59th street said:

Pouring $300 million plus AND a 10 year obligation for one guy seems questionable and worthy of alternative discussion. Especially given the likelihood that we will not be successful in signing either one of Harper or Machado.

I know Harper singe handedly helps increase the value of the franchise, but not enough on field impact to justify the cost to me.  Machado is a better on-field fit but still just one guy and has the same long term obligation issue.  I understand that these are once in a lifetime type Free Agents, given their youth and skill set.  I applaud the effort the White Sox are extending in their pursuit of each one, and I will be thrilled if we actually get one to sign......However; I believe consideration should be given to the following:

- Take on all of the remaining Z. Greinke  deal. Yes it is a large Annual Average Value but we have the $ and it is only $ (no prospects), Also , it is  a 3 year obligation; that gives us a top of the rotation starter and allows time for Kopech, Cease, Dunning et al to prove their worth.  Greinke is still very good and we are reportedly NOT on his no trade list.

- Sign M. Brantley.  He is a left handed hitter with high OBP skills. Good guy, very professional and no long term obligation, as a 3 year deal probably gets him now.  Allows several of our young high end OF prospects to develop and does not hurt the rebuild. He was back to good health last year.

-Sign Nelson Cruz as DH.  He is likely seeking 2 years and is a monster middle of the order hitter.  I am sure he would prefer a more playoff ready team but with Eloy, Abreu, Brantly and Cruz in the middle of our line up our run scoring ability goes way up. You could arguably "squint" and see a playoff caliber team in the AL Central for 2019.

I know we still have holes (like 3B & Catcher) but this seems like a better allocation of money and removes my fear of being financially crippled due to being obligated to ONE player (with player only opt outs) for 10 years.  Who knows if any of these guys would even want to be here but I think I would like to see what they could do for us in 2019 & 2020 while still developing our young studs.

Just my thoughts.  Feel free to tell me how wrong or impossible this is. 

I'd consider something like you propose. On the MLB program this afternoon I heard someone suggest that Harper might not sign until mid January. What if we don't get him. What does that do to other signings we may lose? I'm just saying if the Sox go in another direction it won't break my heart.

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I'd consider something like you propose. On the MLB program this afternoon I heard someone suggest that Harper might not sign until mid January. What if we don't get him. What does that do to other signings we may lose? I'm just saying if the Sox go in another direction it won't break my heart.

Then they stay the course. The other signings for next year only make sense if they land a big fish (besides Grandal). They can afford to wait these guys out. It's the teams that are already competitive or close to competitive that would miss out an alternatives.

Edit: unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Avi is their plan B if they lose out on Harper (and to an extent, Machado if they don't sign him and grab a better OF).

Edited by soxfan2014

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Then they stay the course. The other signings for next year only make sense if they land a big fish (besides Grandal). They can afford to wait these guys out. It's the teams that are already competitive or close to competitive that would miss out an alternatives.

Edit: unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Avi is their plan B if they lose out on Harper (and to an extent, Machado if they don't sign him and grab a better OF).

Agreed. 

I don't think they should sign anyone that they wouldn't sign anyway until Harper or Machado signs. If they lose out on other targets, so be it. 

I think Grandal and Pomeranz/Lynn are guys they'd sign anyway. 

Anyone else, I disagree with completely. 

GreenSox:

What "resources" would these moves cost other than money? 

We have the $ and it would not cripple the organization the way a 10 year + obligation to one player could.

You really can't see (you do have to squint just a little) how much better the Sox could be in 2019 & 2020 and still not cost us "resources"?

6 minutes ago, 59th street said:

GreenSox:

What "resources" would these moves cost other than money? 

We have the $ and it would not cripple the organization the way a 10 year + obligation to one player could.

You really can't see (you do have to squint just a little) how much better the Sox could be in 2019 & 2020 and still not cost us "resources"?

signing some like Harper/Machado wouldn't cripple the sox in the long run. Also Greinke would definitely require some prospects

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Because those moves would cost resources and the Sox would still be a bad team.

Do you believe that keeping the payroll minuscule will mean those very dollars saved are set aside for future years? Do you think the difference in spending $80M on 2019 payroll instead of $35M means that $45M is specifically saved for the future?

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do you believe that keeping the payroll minuscule will mean those very dollars saved are set aside for future years? Do you think the difference in spending $80M on 2019 payroll instead of $35M means that $45M is specifically saved for the future?

Probably not, but I have no idea how JR does his budgets.
We aren't talking purely about money here.  Grienke will cost prospects; maybe he shouldn't but he will.
Also, it's premature - we don't know what the holes on the team will be.  Frankly not one prospect has firmly established himself as a real starter going forward.  Yea  you can say Moncada and Anderson....but if they don't improve, they are average players.  They aren't there yet.   
I'd also like to see them move Abreu.  The Sox have I believe 6 really good OF prospects; I would like to see them trade from that for a pre arb or top prospect.   Just a lot of work they can do on this roster.
In the meantime, watching Yolmer again doesn't bother me...he probably won't get much better, but he might.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, Saufley said:

Nothing, because the Sox arent in win now mode.  It's a bigger risk to teams like the dodgers and Yankees who are always in win now mode,  the Sox are in great shape to wait this out til next month.

2 hours ago, Saufley said:

When you deal with Boras you might as well say here is $350M, we will take it back in ten days and spend it on someone else. 

20 minutes ago, 59th street said:

hi8is:. 

If this is true why doesn't Greinke have us on his no trade list?  Has he been vocal on this recently?

Not trying to be argumentative; just not sure how meaningful his "hate" of our park could be.  

Sox are not on his no trade list. 

Hes made comments about hating the Cell in the past. 

ChiSox59:

Interesting since Chase Field is rated a better hitters park and better HR hitters park than SOX Park.  

I do remember him saying negative things about the SOX a long time ago when he was with the Royals. I always thought that was just due to heated rivalry stuff with the Royals and him being a younger (less mature than now) player. 

Wecbith agtee he does NOT have the SOX on his no trade list.    I like him a lot but not for any meaningful prospects, just as a salary dump aquisition.