1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:
  • CL: Ottavino
  • SU: Colome
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones
  • MR: Frare/Bummer
  • MR: Hamitlon
  • LR: Covey/Benuelos
  • AAA: Burdi, Burr, Fulmer, Ruiz, Stephens, Vieira, Medeiros (maybe)

That’s a talented bullpen with a ton of depth.  And if things predictably go south next year, we have several guys who could be highly desirable assets come the trade deadline.

Is Ottavino the closer for any of the teams (including the White Sox) who sign him?

5 hours ago, spiderman said:

One snippet; Based on ERA, seems to be on/off.

2018: 2.43

2017: 5.07

2016: 2.67

2014: 3.60 (only 10 games in 2015)

2013: 2.64

His walks were out of sight in 2017; they were improved, but still too high in 2018, but his Ks were really high too.

Edited by GreenSox

I really want the team to lock down another experienced reliever (Ottavino, Britton, Allen, Herrera, Boxberger, Holland) . I think that shortening the games for the (young) rotation would be an incredibly smart move as they gear towards competitiveness.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Sounds like Robertson for stretches with the White Sox...until he would just completely fall apart and then somehow get it back together again.

Heh. Kinda. Adam Ottavino would have these moments of silliness, but they were very few and far between. His slider is electric. I think it's his command that gets him into trouble that you speak of. I honestly don't trust him as a closer, but he's generally filthy and I'd love to take a shot at him. 

30 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I really want the team to lock down another experienced reliever (Ottavino, Britton, Allen, Herrera, Boxberger, Holland) . I think that shortening the games for the (young) rotation would be an incredibly smart move as they gear towards competitiveness.

Good take, and agree. Those names all would work to me to various extents. 

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Ottavino has some of the best stuff I’ve seen in my life. His pitches move so much i don’t think he’ll ever be a safe bet to control them. 

He has the potential to be a disaster, but he’d be super fun to watch regularly. 

This is pretty much it. Have him setup and if it looks good let him go...if not get his ass out. His slider is freak level shit, dude is 33, where has he been the last 10 years?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Ottavino has some of the best stuff I’ve seen in my life. His pitches move so much i don’t think he’ll ever be a safe bet to control them. 

He has the potential to be a disaster, but he’d be super fun to watch regularly. 

Oh, for the 2007ish days of Aardsma, Sisco and especially MacDougal (who Cooper would typically just tell to throw it down the middle of the plate and the movement would take care of itself).

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

aI keep wondering why Rockies did not make a QO to Ottavino.  He would not have accepted it, so they would get a draft pick.  Or, they would get him for one more season.

Same argument with Lemahieu.

Edited by oldsox
spelling

10 minutes ago, oldsox said:

aI keep wondering why Rockies did not make a QO to Ottavino.  He would not have accepted it, so they would get a draft pick.  Or, they would get him for one more season.

Same argument with Lemahieu.

I think he would have most definitely accepted it or struggled to find a halfway decent contract.  I mean, how many relievers make $17M or whatever the QO is worth?

And LeMahieu would have definitely accepted it and been significantly overpaid.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s what I’m wondering as well.

I also just wonder with Red Sox if they are just doing what they did on JD Martinez last year and just commit to waiting out Kimbrel, who really does not seem to have an interested market outside of boston (interested meaning willing to wait him to come down in price at risk of not having reliever upgrade)

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also just wonder with Red Sox if they are just doing what they did on JD Martinez last year and just commit to waiting out Kimbrel, who really does not seem to have an interested market outside of boston (interested meaning willing to wait him to come down in price at risk of not having reliever upgrade)

Yeah, I could see that happening with Kimbrel.