Yankees sign Adam Ottavino: 3yr/27m

Whisox05

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn made some comments recently that suggested it was a year too early to add a reliever that will require a long-term deal.  I guess we’ll see if there’s any truth to that, but I’m starting to think Ottavino isn’t a real possibility.

But they went out and traded for Colome? I don’t know if I buy it. Although I really want Ottavino too, hahahaha 

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

But they went out and traded for Colome? I don’t know if I buy it. Although I really want Ottavino too, hahahaha 

Lol...I convinced myself that Ottavino is the real deal after reading that Fangraphs about what he did last offseason and now want him.  But Hahn specifically mentioned Colome in his comments, saying they valued the flexibility he provides by only being guaranteed one year but potentially having two years of control.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn made some comments recently that suggested it was a year too early to add a reliever that will require a long-term deal.  I guess we’ll see if there’s any truth to that, but I’m starting to think Ottavino isn’t a real possibility.

I wonder why the change in interest in long-term relievers, as they apparently were in on Miller and then stopped.  At some point, you wonder just how much the agents are using the Sox known flexibility to raise the bid for others.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ottavino would be fun to have so I would like him.

There really is nothing less fun than having a crappy bullpen. We can trade him whenever we need to.

Is Ottavino the difference between a crappy bullpen and a good bullpen? Maybe the difference between crappy and tolerable, but probably not good.

The difference between a crappy bullpen and a good to great bullpen is turning the multitude of young bullpen arms Hahn acquired into a multitude of good relievers. Having at least 1 guy out in the bullpen with experience (Colome) is a good thing. Is the 2nd veteran guy necessary? Maybe. Does that 2nd veteran guy limit the experience going to the young arms? You betcha. Is that worth it? Well you know my answer.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is Ottavino the difference between a crappy bullpen and a good bullpen? Maybe the difference between crappy and tolerable, but probably not good.

The difference between a crappy bullpen and a good to great bullpen is turning the multitude of young bullpen arms Hahn acquired into a multitude of good relievers. Having at least 1 guy out in the bullpen with experience (Colome) is a good thing. Is the 2nd veteran guy necessary? Maybe. Does that 2nd veteran guy limit the experience going to the young arms? You betcha. Is that worth it? Well you know my answer.

GMAB. When one of our bullpen arms actually can dominate AAA and can't come up I'll actually be receptive to them being "blocked" but seeing as how major league teams have a great resource, our AAA team (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-A_(baseball)), I think we can have them gain experience there, showing control and good k rates before then elevating them to the major league roster. Did we learn anything about Thiago Vieira last year that wasn't evident in Charlotte? Did Juan Minaya's 5 walks per nine in charloote say "he can only learn in the majors!" The only bullpen piece that earned a callup last year was Hamilton. 

The hyperventilating over roster spots ended last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I kind of agree with him. We have a lot of young guys who could be studs in the bullpen for cheap for the next few years, I would rather see what we have in them this year before deciding to commit a lot of money to a reliever.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

GMAB. When one of our bullpen arms actually can dominate AAA and can't come up I'll actually be receptive to them being "blocked" but seeing as how major league teams have a great resource, our AAA team (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-A_(baseball)), I think we can have them gain experience there, showing control and good k rates before then elevating them to the major league roster. Did we learn anything about Thiago Vieira last year that wasn't evident in Charlotte? Did Juan Minaya's 5 walks per nine in charloote say "he can only learn in the majors!" The only bullpen piece that earned a callup last year was Hamilton. 

The hyperventilating over roster spots ended last year.

Really, ok if you want to play the GMAB game...Juan Minaya's BB/9 rate in Charlotte was 3.5 in 2016, 2.4 in 2017, and 3.1 in 2018. Hell, Minaya's BB/9 was 4.2 in 50+ innings in 2016 and 2017 in the big leagues. For comparison, Adam Ottavino's BB/9 in 2017 was 6.6 and in 2018 it was...4.2.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Let's never make improvements and be bad forever! - The Balta Way 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Really, ok if you want to play the GMAB game...Juan Minaya's BB/9 rate in Charlotte was 3.5 in 2016, 2.4 in 2017, and 3.1 in 2018. Hell, Minaya's BB/9 was 4.2 in 50+ innings in 2016 and 2017 in the big leagues. For comparison, Adam Ottavino's BB/9 in 2017 was 6.6 and in 2018 it was...4.2.

But of course your argument is that had minaya stayed in the minors he would be worse, and the only place players can develop is in the majors. That the sox could not at all identify what kind of pitcher minaya is without him being in the big leagues, and minaya will degrade every day he is in minors, and the sox cannot possibly risk creating any sort of competition out of the last spot of the bullpen between their relief prospects. 

The idea that sox would specifically harm themselves by cycling the last spot of the bullpen with the highest performing of the prospects rather than keeping the entire bullpen open in perpetuity is unnecessary. There is also attrition, injuries and others. Tommy Kahnle did not start in the 2017 bullpen. Did having David Robertson and like, dan Jennings, cause that? Would sox have been completely unable to tell that he may be better based on an extended aaa performance than others had webb not gone down? I have it as highly unlikely that is the case. I find it impossible to believe, actually. 

I agree with bmags, I’m not sure enough of the young relievers showed enough to be handed spots next year.  I have no problem of adding one more high-end guy.  For example, Ottavino, Colome, Jones, & Fry could make up a pretty nice back-end of a bullpen.  That let’s you ease Hamilton & Frare (or Bummer) into high leverage situations.  If those young guys prove they’re capable of taking on more important roles, you suddenly have some veteran relievers to trade.  If not, the next set of young arms get an opportunity.  To me, that’s the best way for us to develop a bullpen.

All you need to know about the Sox bullpen last year is this. They blew and lost 16 games where they had the lead going into the 7th inning or later.

With the Sox needing to show some improvement in 2019 both in the win / lose column and with players considered a vital part of the rebuild, the quickest and easiest way to disillusion both the fan base and said players is to start blowing games left and right yet again.

Fix the damn bullpen and if you have to give guys two / three year deals you do it. That way assuming the team is ready to go in 2020 you'll have one less thing to worry about and if the rebuild blows apart, you can deal these guys perhaps for prospects.

Win / win to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Add Ottavino, and IMO, our pen becomes fairly deep, with a long roster of guys in AAA as insurance. 

That alone should be a huge improvement over last season.  

• CL: Ottavino
  • SU: Colome
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones
  • MR: Frare/Bummer
  • MR: Hamitlon
  • LR: Covey/Benuelos
  • AAA: Burdi, Burr, Fulmer, Ruiz, Stephens, Vieira, Medeiros (maybe)

That’s a talented bullpen with a ton of depth.  And if things predictably go south next year, we have several guys who could be highly desirable assets come the trade deadline.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

FWIW

23 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Well if you take the IB tweet as fact with it dated 12/14 and the recent date of 12/27 on the Morosi tweet ., it actually fits with the Buerhle> Wood rumor. Still hoping for some kind of announcement of a signing or trade before the New Year.