Mets sign Familia, 3 for $30

ChiSox59

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Same here. I thought they were trying to build their own pen with some of the arms in the minors. Guess they might not be as high on Hamilton, Burdi, Burr, etc. as we thought?

Or trying to compete and want to not put heavy pressure on the kids. Let them settle in and not thrown into the fire 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m really surprised by us being this aggressive with high-end bullpen arms.

I’m not really. I think the fastest way to wins this year is a better bullpen. If their internal options prove to be good, all of these players can be traded. Again, you might not get incredible prospects back with their contracts, but if it’s the money and spot you want you can get rid of it. 

Quickest way to more competitiveness in 2019 without sacrificing much flexibility was bullpen imo.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m not really. I think the fastest way to wins this year is a better bullpen. If their internal options prove to be good, all of these players can be traded. Again, you might not get incredible prospects back with their contracts, but if it’s the money and spot you want you can get rid of it. 

Quickest way to more competitiveness in 2019 without sacrificing much flexibility was bullpen imo.

I don’t know, paying a $12M+ AAV for a reliever feels a year early.  Lot of dead money throughout the league after last year’s run on relievers.  If I’m being honest, I’d much rather use those dollars toward adding Grandal.  Now, if we end up adding Harper or Machado, I’m much more open to something like this.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know, paying a $12M+ AAV for a reliever feels a year early.  Lot of dead money throughout the league after last year’s run on relievers.  If I’m being honest, I’d much rather use those dollars toward adding Grandal.  Now, if we end up adding Harper or Machado, I’m much more open to something like this.

Agreed. But then you run into the chicken/egg debate. Perhaps signing these guys will increase our chances of landing Harper or Machado.

(Ok, that isn't exactly a chicken/egg scenario, but my points remains)

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed. But then you run into the chicken/egg debate. Perhaps signing these guys will increase our chances of landing Harper or Machado.

(Ok, that isn't exactly a chicken/egg scenario, but my points remains)

And I’m totally fine with that.  But damn do relievers scare me.  I guess I still have nightmares from Scott Linebrink.

34 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Cue the Addison Russell thread 

This. I took a ton of heat saying I'd consider Addison Russell. I have a feeling more than a few people who were anti Addison are okay with this move.... which makes zero sense if you're playing the moral game. Either way, my stance is still the same. Do your homework. Build a team with character. I wouldn't exclude anybody because of their past if you truly believe they are trying to make a change and have made a change.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

You don't reach out to all these arms unless you have some sort of designs on competing, IMO

How so. This board loves the idea of flipping guys at the all star break for prospects. We could easily be doing that. Acquiring guys we can trade if they get fixed or even better than they are by Coop.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And I’m totally fine with that.  But damn do relievers scare me.  I guess I still have nightmares from Scott Linebrink.

We've had some horrific pitchers on our team, starters and relievers, since 2005. Really bad ones.