Mets sign Familia, 3 for $30

ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

How so. This board loves the idea of flipping guys at the all star break for prospects. We could easily be doing that. Acquiring guys we can trade if they get fixed or even better than they are by Coop.

We've seen how highly regarded set up men have been the last 3 seasons.  If things don't work out for this ball club and they don't land a Harper/Machado you can get an absolute haul with Familia, Ottavino and Colome on the block.  

10 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

This. I took a ton of heat saying I'd consider Addison Russell. I have a feeling more than a few people who were anti Addison are okay with this move.... which makes zero sense if you're playing the moral game. Either way, my stance is still the same. Do your homework. Build a team with character. I wouldn't exclude anybody because of their past if you truly believe they are trying to make a change and have made a change.

It is interesting how there were zero "no wife-beaters on my team" comments in this thread as opposed to the Russell one. 

Rick overestimated the reliever market....

Colome is going to get pretty close to 2/20 from the Sox.  

We gave up Narvaez for the right to pay Alex about what he would have gotten on the free market.  Joe Kelly 3/25?  Not the end of the world, but not great either!

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Rick overestimated the reliever market....

Colome is going to get pretty close to 2/20 from the Sox.  

We gave up Narvaez for the right to pay Alex about what he would have gotten on the free market.  Joe Kelly 3/25?  Not the end of the world, but not great either!

He’ll probably get 2/$17M, which other than not having to give a third year is not a huge discount to market.  I’m guessing that Narvaez simply didn’t have much value because of his defense.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’ll probably get 2/$17M, which other than not having to give a third year is not a huge discount to market.  I’m guessing that Narvaez simply didn’t have much value because of his defense.

I mean the Sox do hold the ability to non-tender Colome if he stinks... so that has gotta be worth something, but I still find this puzzling.  

And I'm no Omar fan but we are talking about the 5th best offensive Catcher in baseball last season, who is 26 years old, who makes no money and seemingly could improve his framing numbers (even if just by luck).  Which ironically sounds like what the Sox are looking for... to fill the hole they made by dealing Narvaez. 

The only explanation I can think of is that Hahn thought the relievers were gonna get more $$$. 

Which also makes sense if we are supposedly "in" on several free agent relievers, because if I'm looking at the roster, bullpen help is the last thing we need and the easiest thing to add if the rebuild takes a leap forward sooner than expected.

Edited by GREEDY

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It is interesting how there were zero "no wife-beaters on my team" comments in this thread as opposed to the Russell one. 

My post was 100 percent because of that.  I hated when we traded for Brett Myers and I would have hated signing this asshole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was the 2nd to best hitter on the team - could have played DH.  A players they actually developed.
And watch his framing numbers skyrocket once he gets away from Cooper and this pitching staff.

Edited by GreenSox

29 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He was the 2nd to best hitter on the team - could have played DH.  A players they actually developed.
And watch his framing numbers skyrocket once he gets away from Cooper and this pitching staff.

Narvaez is terrible defensively and is unlikely to improve substantially just by moving organizations.  As for his bat, what he did last year is not predictive of what he’ll do going forward.  I don’t buy the power numbers and think he’ll regress back to a league average hitter, which isn’t very valuable if paired with horrible defense.  I was all for moving Narvaez and actually like Colome, just find what we got to be a little odd since we have plenty of money to buy relievers.

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I mentioned it in another thread about this guy, but he's no wife beater. Turns out after his wife called police and they arrived, she realized her 1 year old caused all the scratches on her body, and the marks on her face were the result of how she was sleeping. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I mentioned it in another thread about this guy, but he's no wife beater. Turns out after his wife called police and they arrived, she realized her 1 year old caused all the scratches on her body, and the marks on her face were caused by how she was sleeping. 

Um...huh? Not sure if serious.