Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

If the White Sox sign him they need to do so soon as they need to understand that the window to compete is now open.   This is most likely the point to pushing Boras.  If they sign him in January the scope of the off-season will have been different.

Keuchel has to be a top target as well as the relievers if Macado or Harper sign.

If neither sign push the free agent signings off until next year.....but then the White Sox also become the Bulls in that they don't sign the big money free agents.

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If the White Sox sign him they need to do so soon as they need to understand that the window to compete is now open.   This is most likely the point to pushing Boras.  If they sign him in January the scope of the off-season will have been different.

Keuchel has to be a top target as well as the relievers if Macado or Harper sign.

If neither sign push the free agent signings off until next year.....but then the White Sox also become the Bulls in that they don't sign the big money free agents.

Free agency next year is non existent. 

I don’t take much of anything Nightengale says with any kind of seriousness. Not because I chose to ignore it but because he’s so wrong all the time (Phillies are the favorite for Corbin-10 minutes later he signs with Nationals).

Maybe no formal offer was made but you don’t meet with him without knowing what numbers they’re thinking. 

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm certain offers have been discussed even if one hasn't been formally presented.

Sure but this also means this is nowhere near the finish line. This is going to be a complicated contract.

Hahn said yesterday they want to be respectful and give Harper time to make his decision. This tells me Harper is waiting on other teams to see what they have to offer. We probably haven't made a formal offer and are waiting for other teams to submit their offers, then we'd try to top it.