Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I actually think it’s good if they haven’t offered a deal yet.  At face value, would mean that they didn’t get told it’s too low.

Just because it would be too low doesn't mean it's not the highest, but I get your point. But it's sort of moot since they've already offered a contract

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

He also said he doesn’t want to sign players that might block prospects in 3 or so years.

I hope this doesn't factor in at all.

Some prospects are going to fail. If Jimenez and Robert fill LF and CF as budding stars, respectively, and Harper takes over right, and Gonzalez or one of the others is coming up hard, we trade them for something we need. You don't refuse to add a proven star when you have money and mutual interest just because some unproven asset in A ball might play that position in 3 years.

Now, I'd assume he's talking about not signing, say, Denard Span to putz around in CF at replacement value and still be there when Robert's knocking on the door.

Just now, The Sir said:

Some prospects are going to fail. If Jimenez and Robert fill LF and CF as budding stars, respectively, and Harper takes over right, and Gonzalez or one of the others is coming up hard, we trade them for something we need. You don't refuse to add a proven star when you have money and mutual interest just because some unproven asset in A ball might play that position in 3 years.

Now, I'd assume he's talking about not signing, say, Denard Span to putz around in CF at replacement value and still be there when Robert's knocking on the door.

He wasn’t referring to Harper

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I think that's aimed much more at Brantley than it is Harper as you move people because you get a Bryce Harper, you don't move people or delay people in your org to bring in a Michael Brantley.

• Like 1

I checked in to see if there was any movement on the Machado/Harper front and saw 107 members and 737 guests on the site. Instant adrenaline rush.

I'm hoping for Harper because I think he's the bigger star and brings a little national relevance to the team, but I will not be disappointed if they "settle" for Machado. He's probably the better fit/need.

I will be disappointed if they come away with neither. And I think either one along with some smart supporting moves puts them in the playoff hunt immediately. 

2 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Harper is waiting on the Cubs and white sox have big offer for harper I have 11 screenshots but won't let me put all of them.

You can make a thread and post them in there.  That would be fun.   I mean that would be fine