Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Sounds to me like a lot of excuse making and they know they're out. Let's all talk about more realistic options than Machado and Harper. If neither is interested in the Sox there isn't much they can do anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

No sir he is not. Hahn is right, there's more to signing Harper than just the money.

And I swear this has nothing to do with what Ron said, but if Harper does end up getting the Cubs or Dodgers to offer him a huge front loaded contract with early opt-out, why wouldn't he take that?

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Sounds to me like a lot of excuse making amd they know they're out. 

I would agree

RT @scottmerkin: Hahn: "All we can do is put our best foot forward, our most aggressive foot  forward and try to convert on what we feel are necessary targets."

2 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

This.  We all know Bob has been Kenny's mouthpiece for years but I'm not sure I'm buying it this year with what they've been public with.  If they're trying to play the misdirection game, they're doing an awful job of it.

Well this whole thing deescalated quickly I guess the Sox never really had a chance.  They are turning into the Bulls before our eyes. 

Just now, fathom said:

And I swear this has nothing to do with what Ron said, but if Harper does end up getting the Cubs or Dodgers to offer him a huge front loaded contract with early opt-out, why wouldn't he take that?

He'd be a fool to pass on that to sign with the White Sox.

Would the doubting Thomases just stop? There's nothing saying we're out. Hahn isn't a SoxTalk poster, he's not going to come out and say, "I think it's 50% us, 40% the Phils, and 10% someone else." He's going to be vague and cover all the bases. Don't freak out about it.

Why would Hahn say anything publicly that Boras or any other agent could fuck him with later in negotiations?

Hahn is a lawyer by trade, you can’t read too much into his comments when it comes to things like this because a lot of the time he’s not saying anything of real substance. 

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Why would Hahn say anything publicly that Boras or any other agent could fuck him with later in negotiations?

Hahn is a lawyer by trade, you can’t read too much into his comments when it comes to things like this because a lot of the time he’s not saying anything of real substance. 

Yeah I would say the fact is that he hasn't said something along the lines of "you can't put all your eggs into one basket" is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

yep, we're his safety school right now.  Still waiting to hear back from his dream school(s)

We all knew the Sox aren't the most attractive FA destination right now so signing Harper or Machado was going to be tough. If I'm Harper I wait it out for a while longer to give contenders a chance to free up money and get into the mix.