Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yes, if they miss on both of these guys and the rationale is that the Sox offered the most money and it was just a matter of them being the Sox then they are descending into Bulls territory.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I agree with this take. 

Have the Sox players formed a mutiny and contacted the MLBPA over extreme managing tactics anytime recently?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Have the Sox players formed a mutiny and contacted the MLBPA over extreme managing tactics anytime recently?

Not yet, but wait about 3-5 years...

Both teams have been a clown college for the better part of a decade. Remember how we felt in June 2016? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I am only talking about targeting and securing free agents.  I am not trying to crap on the team of front office but if they target both and lose out on both there are concerns in my mind. There are putting in the effort and all that but they cannot finalize the mega-deal. 

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am only talking about targeting and securing free agents.  I am not trying to crap on the team of front office but if they target both and lose out on both there are concerns in my mind. There are putting in the effort and all that but they cannot finalize the mega-deal. 

so now you're comparing KW/Hahn to GarPax? gtfo 

Just now, peppers312 said:

Yeah, that's not fair...Pax has had a team over .500 in the last 6 years :)

In all honesty though, the Sox are just too irrelevant these days.  When you have horrible attendance, horrible TV ratings and a horrible team....you're not exactly at the top of everyone's wish list.  The unique situation exists this offseason in that Harper and Machado might not take the most money (like what usually happens) due to unusual circumstances (Harper wanting to play with Bryant, Manny being a Yanks fan)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, peppers312 said:

No what I am saying is that if the Sox target and are unable to land either free agent then to me in the free agency world they are becoming very similar to the Bulls in that they can try and be in play but in reality they will not play.   They will grab a couple of mid-tier guys maybe a handful in one off-season but not he big boy free agents.  

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

In all honesty though, the Sox are just too irrelevant these days.  When you have horrible attendance, horrible TV ratings and a horrible team....you're not exactly at the top of everyone's wish list.  The unique situation exists this offseason in that Harper and Machado might not take the most money (like what usually happens) due to unusual circumstances (Harper wanting to play with Bryant, Manny being a Yanks fan)

and for all we know maybe Harper/Boras are waiting to see how Machado's visits go and what the $$$ value of his contract offers look like...

everyone should just sit back, relax and strap it down. LOL we could be in for a long ride.  

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

yep, we're his safety school right now.  Still waiting to hear back from his dream school(s)

The Cubs haven’t even met with him from what I’ve seen.  And I’m not yet convinced the Dodgers are eager to spend the money on him.  I think this “he’s waiting on teams to free up money” narrative is complete BS.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Cubs haven’t even met with him from what I’ve seen.  And I’m not yet convinced the Dodgers are eager to spend the money on him.  I think this “he’s waiting on teams to free up money” narrative is complete BS.

Then why hasn't he already signed with us or Philadelphia?

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is harper waiting then.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Is anyone concerned about Merkin's tweets regarding this?

no, because if you actually watch the interview and listen to Hahn talk about it, he doesn't sounds concerned so i'm not going to be. 

the process could end tomorrow, it could end in Jan/Feb. enjoy the ride! 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Then why hasn't he already signed with us or Philadelphia?

Machado hasn't met with anyone yet apparently and Harper's agent is Scott Boras, Scott Boras is only going to have his player sign now if he thinks there's a real chance that his best offer could evaporate with nothing comparable available. At least for the near future, there's no pressure for either of them to finish.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

There is absolutely nothing to suggest either player would take less money to play for their desired teams.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Machado hasn't met with anyone yet apparently and Harper's agent is Scott Boras, Scott Boras is only going to have his player sign now if he thinks there's a real chance that his best offer could evaporate with nothing comparable available. At least for the near future, there's no pressure for either of them to finish.

exactly. at least that's what i'm doing if i'm a free agent in this situation. 

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

Why is harper waiting then.

Because he is about to sign a contract that could very well take him into retirement, and he wants to make an educated and informed decision about who that team will be.

Edited by maggsmaggs