Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Me & Balta rarely agree, but I 100% agree with this.  Boras still has time to work the system and try to increase Harper’s offers.  Giving the Cubs & Dodgers a chance to get serious is an added benefit for them, but under no circumstance are they primarily waiting for the Cubs to trade off millions of dead salary in a Hail Mary attempt.  Way too many variables for that to make a lick of sense. 

If harper not sign by jan 15 I will believe hes waiting on damn cubs then.

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

This harper saga is very annoying hes turning  this into LeBron thing.

LOL dude you are off your rocker. 

if you were 26 years old free agent, this is the ONE contract that you have worked your ENTIRE life for and the contract that is going to set you and your family up for life. 

hardly a "Lebron thing" as you so eloquently state. 

it's a business and Harper has earned his way to handle it as such.  

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Waiting on the Cubs is a fools errand and Boras would be the worst agent in baseball if he lets his client do that.

First, the Cubs can sign Harper today and then worry about trading contracts later. There is nothing that stops them from doing this. If you want something really bad, you dont put contingencies on it happening first.

Second, if the Cubs were really that serious about Harper, they wouldnt have paid Cole Hamels $20mil for next year, to then turn around and need to shed a bunch of salary.

To me the Cubs are nothing more than a boogeyman. Maybe they will sign him, but if they really want Harper, they should sign him first and then worry about everything else later. If they cant add Harper's salary for this year, they arent really as flush with cash as people think.

Great fucking post!!

The thing is, there aren't many suitors for this kind of contract, and the Cubs aren't, themselves, going to wait until February to clear enough to sign Harper. They have other moves to make. So do others. The Sox, not so much.  So these agents have to be careful, if they wait too long, their market isn't going to grow, it's going to shrink. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

A left-bearded Nats hitter who put up .249 on his way out. What could go wrong? I would offer 350 open for ten days then move on.

plenty. but the reward is worth the risk for a 26 year old former ROY/MVP going into the prime years of his career wouldn't you agree? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing is, there aren't many suitors for this kind of contract, and the Cubs aren't, themselves, going to wait until February to clear enough to sign Harper. They have other moves to make. So do others. The Sox, not so much.  So these agents have to be careful, if they wait too long, their market isn't going to grow, it's going to shrink. 

So by jan15-22 he should be sign to new team then.

Just now, fathom said:

No surprise, but Bruce is saying Harper wants an opt-out after 3 or 4 years:

https://670thescore.radio.com/opt-out-clause-key-bryce-harper-new-contract-white-sox

Which is fine if it’s after four years.  I know Heyward got his after three years, but he also had a shorter contract than most are expecting for Harper.

Just now, peavy44 said:

Yes they will be they want him at the soxfest.

These are the three things that could happen, in order of preference from the White Sox:

1. Sign Harper before SoxFest

2. Sign Harper after SoxFest

3. Don't sign Harper at all

The Sox certainly aren't going to be upset if options 1 or 2 happen.