Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

Its hard to believe anyone has a really great idea what is going on here. There are probably a handful of people who have actual knowledge of all the moving pieces. They include Boras, Harper and either immediate employees or family members. Even if you have a *great* source, that source likely only has a small piece of a much larger puzzle, unless it is one of the handful who know exactly what is going on.

So there is no reason to doubt that people have been given information, but all of it is highly unreliable hearsay. And even if they are getting it from reliable sources, we have no idea whether its information and disinformation.

All I can be sure of is Boras loves to be the center of attention. When you compare Harper/Machado and the coverage, I have no doubt that Boras directly is assisting in leaks and trying to create a narrative.

If you want Harper and you are a Sox fan, you should just be happy that the Sox name keeps popping up. That is as good as it gets for right now. And while he can say "mystery" teams all he wants, there is no way in the world Boras wont leak those names if he feels that it will mean 1 more dollar for Harper. 

If Im betting Greg's house, the market for Harper isnt as strong as Boras wishes it was. He is trying to create some mythical way that other teams are going to get involved. But every day that goes by makes it less likely that teams are going to make trades for huge salary guys.

Why do I believe that?

AZ who came to the meetings looking to deal got rid of Goldy fast. They tried to move Greinke but feel the market will be better during the season. So who out there is looking to take on huge $100mil contracts like Howard? And how does it make more sense in a week/month from now, as compared to today?

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But you’re unable to share even the smallest details with the broader group?

I said what I know. The Cubs are working on something big. What that means, I don't know. Could be Harper, could be Machado. Could be anything. 

3 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

One of my sources when steve Dy he met harper he has pictures to prove it plus he has nephew that plays in the MLB and talks harper high school buddies.

I doubt that Harper's best friend knows every offer and who the top one is. Its possible, but its really unlikely. I just cant imagine Harper mass texting people "JUST GOT AN OFFER 12 years $424".

Now I can believe Harper has told friends his preference or where he wants to play, but I doubt he goes into the details. 

Just now, Hot FiRe said:

I said what I know. The Cubs are working on something big. What that means, I don't know. Could be Harper, could be Machado. Could be anything. 

Could be Britton. :D

And honestly I agree with Heyman (surprise! I agree with someone who confirms my desired outcome)

The shedding of salary from the Dodgers has been marginal. In a trade where they shed salary and outfielders (cincy) it was largely a wash that they ended up largely buying prospects.

They have paid for a new reliever.

If anything this is just clearing out a glut that may have been requested by Dave Roberts that it was too hard to manage that many major leaguers.

None of the salaries discussed provide gigantic flexibility.