Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

2 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

if and only if harper sigs with the six i cant  wait for the cubs game to show in there face even more when eloy playing and cease is pitching

I'll try to translate this one:  If, and only if, Harper signs with the Sox, I can't wait for the Cubs game, to shove it in their faces, even more so, when Eloy is playing and Cease is pitching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I would love for there to be a basic literacy and writing test that must be passed prior to registering for this site. 

Harper signs with the Sox = Vast majority of Sox fans overcome with emotion and joy, a franchise changing moment, huge for the city of Chicago

There would still be a few fans saying we should have signed Machado instead, or that Harper wasn't worth the money blah blah blah 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Has Kopechs handle always been @michaelkopech5 or was it once @michaelkopech34? Someone please let me know!

ITs always been 5, but he did make some cryptic post a few weeks ago about potentially giving up 34. 

Just now, Sockin said:

I hope Harper never sees this board. Everyone sounds insane. 

"Yeah, Rick, I was ready to sign, but then I saw this site called SoxTalk.  That place is fucking nuts.  I think I'll take that 20-year deal with the Cubs instead."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

What if Bryce Harper is the next Heyward?  Machado is a safer bet. 

If the Sox have a chance to get him, they should. If it turns out to be shitty, so be it. Go down swinging. 

As I've said all along, I don't doubt that the Sox will make a strong offer, I have serious doubts about either BH/MM being even remotely interested in coming here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

What if Bryce Harper is the next Heyward?  Machado is a safer bet. 

What if Machado is the next Heyward.. Harper is a safer bet.

Honestly, we've gone the safer route for my whole life. if there's a time to go balls to the wall its now.

Also, Harper is a better fit financially regardless of need or future stats. He is a face to the franchise which drives revenue outside of the normal stuff. Reinsdorf is a business man. Even if he flops or just does okay, he brings in more than enough revenue to cover his salary. I think that's one reason JR is so enamored and willing to go for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Honestly, we've gone the safer route for my whole life. if there's a time to go balls to the wall its now.

Also, Harper is a better fit financially regardless of need or future stats. He is a face to the franchise which drives revenue outside of the normal stuff. Reinsdorf is a business man. Even if he flops or just does okay, he brings in more than enough revenue to cover his salary. I think that's one reason JR is so enamored and willing to go for this.

That is a risk we should be willing to take. Harper is a former MVP, just entering his prime. Sox have not splurged on a free agent in twenty years, the time is now. 

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not to entertain this dumb comparison, but I trust Machado having a higher WAR over the next 10 years than Harper. He has a certain defensive floor built in to his value. Harper's most recently has been very bad.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I know this is in jest, but have they really taked on any money this offseason?  It seems like they’ve dumped salary if anything.

I could definitely see DiPoto taking on Heyward for Happ fully confident that he could spin off Heyward only to have to trade something more valuable than Happ to get it done.

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Imagine if someone that didn't know anything about baseball read this thread. A bunch of grown men freaking out about another grown man that wears tight pants and hits a ball with a stick.

That's kinda where my thoughts go after heart-breaking sports losses, generally. I get down, and then I wonder why I'm intertwining my emotions with the actions of a bunch of physically-fit millionaires who will never know my name, and then I feel better. Circle of life.

• Like 2

Just now, The Sir said:

That's kinda where my thoughts go after heart-breaking sports losses, generally. I get down, and then I wonder why I'm intertwining my emotions with the actions of a bunch of physically-fit millionaires who will never know my name, and then I feel better. Circle of life.

Yeah you kind of hit that moment at a certain age when you realize it really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by soxfan2014