Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox have a chance to get him, they should. If it turns out to be shitty, so be it. Go down swinging. 

As I've said all along, I don't doubt that the Sox will make a strong offer, I have serious doubts about either BH/MM being even remotely interested in coming here. 

Because you know them so well. This speculation is as bad as the ones saying either is coming here.

I think what we've learned from these past few offseason is that the MLB needs deadlines. Not only does the game drag on but so does the offseason. 

A high profile free agent like Harper should have been signed already and the team would now be preparing for the "down time". 

Edited by Baron

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah you kind of hit that moment at a certain age when you realize it really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

If we don't get Harper I'd get over it. If we do not get Harper and the Cubs somehow managed to sign him it would sting for a very long time. 

Just now, Baron said:

I think what we've learned from these past few offseason is that the MLB needs deadlines. Not only does the game drag on but so does the offseason. 

Why though? 

There's nothing else really going on until spring training anyway. What would deadlines do? 

Just now, Baron said:

I don't think teams will ever agree to deadlines though.  They also reap the benefits of slow playing the FA market.  

1 minute ago, Baron said:

A high profile free agent like Harper should have been signed already and the team would now be preparing for the "down time". 

Why? It drags out the interest and keeps the click bait coming for the league.  It's all $$$$

Just now, steveno89 said:

Why though? 

There's nothing else really going on until spring training anyway. What would deadlines do? 

Speed the process up for the sports health. I think what happens alot of time especially with baseball is the exciting news comes at the wrong time when playoffs in other sports are going on. December is almost perfect for them to win a ton of headlines/attention. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

If we don't get Harper I'd get over it. If we do not get Harper and the Cubs somehow managed to sign him it would sting for a very long time. 

Eh. Harper isnt what the Cubs need. They cant afford Harper and Bryant. Even with Harper they arent WS favorites next year. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

If I was in Harper's shoes, I'd want to take plenty of time to do my homework. 

Ditto

Just now, peavy44 said:

MLB needs salary cap like NHL

Not going to happen. the MLBPA wouldn't allow it, and the current luxury tax acts as a de facto salary cap anyways. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Why? It drags out the interest and keeps the click bait coming for the league.  It's all $$$$

I dont think it does actually. Say Harper signs during NFL Playoffs...who do you think is wining there on ESPN? 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Speed the process up for the sports health. I think what happens alot of time especially with baseball is the exciting news comes at the wrong time when playoffs in other sports are going on. December is almost perfect for them to win a ton of headlines/attention. 

Exciting off-season news? What sports are in the playoffs now (besides the NFL in January)?

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah you kind of hit that moment at a certain age when you realize it really doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

Yep. In October 2000, I was 13 and had just woken up in Paris when I found out the Sox got swept out of the playoffs by the Ms. Spent most of the weekend on vacation and totally butthurt by sports. Not anymore. This is supposed to be fun, and if it's not fun anymore, go do something else.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Exciting post-season news? What sports are in the playoffs now (besides the NFL in January)?

That's what I was saying. Say this drags out until January. How is that helpful for baseball? The Wildcard games will still dominate the news.