Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

Does anyone suspect that the Sox may be the only team "desperate" enough for the intangible "star power" that Harper brings, to really have a serious interest in him, at the kind of money that is being suggested? I'm beginning to think that teams like the Cubs and Dodgers would view such a deal as pure folly. Those teams could care less about star power. They all know that he is not the best player in baseball and doesn't play a premium position, in fact he doesn't even play his position very well. No other team needs him, as badly as the Sox do.

Perhaps he hasn't signed yet, because no other team has surfaced with an offer to match what is being hinted. Perhaps none will. Many of you have stated that his on the field performance does not justify the biggest contract in the history of sports. Given that his intangibles are not worth that much to other teams, the Sox might not really have any competition, if Harper is simply seeking the best offer. 

It's also likely that the Sox would offer one, or more,  competitive opt out clauses. It appears he likes the city of Chicago and although he might prefer to play with is buddy on the North Side, being in the same city would be a reasonable compromise. Finally, it's likely that the wives could be more interested, than are the players, in the two families residing in the same city. They are the ones who are home, while their husbands are at the ball park, most of the day, even when their teams are in town. When they're husbands are on the road, they're really alone. 

I'm leaning on the probability that no other team is going to match the Sox offer, if they are actually willing to spend $350 Million, for 10 years of Bryce Harper. The other GM's may even privately think that the Sox are foolish to make such an offer.

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It iDoes anyone suspect that the Sox may be the only team "desperate" enough for the intangible "star power" that Harper brings, to really have a serious interest in him, at the kind of money that is being suggested? I'm beginning to think that teams like the Cubs and Dodgers would view such a deal as pure folly. Those teams could care less about star power. They all know that he is not the best player in baseball and doesn't play a premium position, in fact he doesn't even play his position very well. No other team needs him, as badly as the Sox do.

Perhaps he hasn't signed yet, because no other team has surfaced with an offer to match what is being hinted. Perhaps none will. Many of you have stated that his on the field performance does not justify the biggest contract in the history of sports. Given that his intangibles are not worth that much to other teams, the Sox might not really have any competition, if Harper is simply seeking the best offer. 

It's also likely that the Sox would offer one, or more,  competitive opt out clauses. It appears he likes the city of Chicago and although he might prefer to play with is buddy on the North Side, being in the same city would be a reasonable compromise. Finally, it's likely that the wives could be more interested, than are the players, in the two families residing in the same city. They are the ones who are home, while their husbands are at the ball park, most of the day, even when their teams are in town. When they're husbands are on the road, they're really alone. 

I'm leaning on the probability that no other team is going to match the Sox offer, if they are actually willing to spend $350 Million, for 10 years of Bryce Harper. The other GM's may even privately think that the Sox are foolish to make such an offer.

Why are you so worried about it!? You won’t be writing the checks. It isn’t going to ruin the team, they are one of the worst in baseball. This kid just turned 26. Had a bad year and still put up almost a .900 OPS. And he is left handed. He should be your dream. If somehow they do sign him, enjoy it. There is no need to fret. JR won’t go broke, and he will most likely pay for himself, even if somehow his age 25 season is his new norm.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Why are you so worried about it!? You won’t be writing the checks. It isn’t going to ruin the team, they are one of the worst in baseball. This kid just turned 26. Had a bad year and still put up almost a .900 OPS. And he is left handed. He should be your dream. If somehow they do sign him, enjoy it. There is no need to fret. JR won’t go broke, and he will most likely pay for himself, even if so,ehow his age 25 season is his new norm.

Note that I did not say I would be unhappy. I agree with you and have stated elsewhere, that "it's not my money". I'm merely pointing out that the Sox have a unique need to sign a player with this kind of intangible star power. They do have to acquire such a player, because of their being relegated to a small market team, in a big market city. This is the problem for a team located in one of the worst parts of town, while trying to compete with the Cubs, on the North Side. 

Regarding the left handed bat; Absolutely love the notion that the Sox would finally have that elusive middle of the order, left handed bat. Insert him right into the #3 spot and problem solved. LOL. Nevertheless, it wouldn't take a $350 Million contract, just to solve that problem. But again, hey it's not my money.

I'm just arguing that no other team really needs Bryce Harper badly enough to compete with the kind of offer, which J. R. appears to be prepared to make. In fact, it may be foolish for any other team to do so. It may be a prudent, even wise decision for the Sox, but not for other teams. 

So, relax. I think that all signs point to him coming to the South Side. 

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Note that I did not say I would be unhappy. I agree with you and have stated elsewhere, that "it's not my money". I'm merely pointing out that the Sox have a unique need to sign a player with this kind of intangible star power. They do have to acquire such a player, because of their being relegated to a small market team, in a big market city. This is the problem for a team located in one of the worst parts of town, while trying to compete with the Cubs, on the North Side. 

Regarding the left handed bat; Absolutely love the notion that the Sox would finally have that elusive middle of the order, left handed bat. Insert him right into the #3 spot and problem solved. LOL. Nevertheless, it wouldn't take a $350 Million contract, just to solve that problem. But again, hey it's not my money.

I'm just arguing that no other team really needs Bryce Harper badly enough to compete with the kind of offer, which J. R. appears to be prepared to make. In fact, it may be foolish for any other team to do so. It may be a prudent, even wise decision for the Sox, but not for other teams. 

So, relax. I think that all signs point to him coming to the South Side. 

There is no doubt he has an added benefit to the White Sox other than playing that most of the big boys don’t need. There are others in the Sox boat, but they would never and could never pay him what it will take. I am sure the Sox will have to pay a tax for not being a very desirable destination at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no doubt he has an added benefit to the White Sox other than playing that most of the big boys don’t need. There are others in the Sox boat, but they would never and could never pay him what it will take. I am sure the Sox will have to pay a tax for not being a very desirable destination at the moment.

100% agree.  Our organization is completely irrelevant both nationally & locally.  We need to do something to put us on the map and reinvigorate the fanbase.  Investing in Harper not only improves our chances of winning, but gives us the star power this franchise has been lacking since an in his prime Frank Thomas.  If that means we have to pay a premium above what his on-field production suggests then that’s the cost of doing business.  Like you said Dick, a Harper addition will pay for itself.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Then I think we both agree. We would also both be happy if he signs with the Sox. Neither of us cares how much the team has to spend. 

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why are you so worried about it!? You won’t be writing the checks. It isn’t going to ruin the team, they are one of the worst in baseball. This kid just turned 26. Had a bad year and still put up almost a .900 OPS. And he is left handed. He should be your dream. If somehow they do sign him, enjoy it. There is no need to fret. JR won’t go broke, and he will most likely pay for himself, even if somehow his age 25 season is his new norm.

It's not JRs money. It's all from the team. There is no personal money here. 

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not JRs money. It's all from the team. There is no personal money here. 

something i've always wondered, can an owner spend their own personal money on their team, whether it's in the ballpark or whether it's on actual players?

17 minutes ago, Real said:

something i've always wondered, can an owner spend their own personal money on their team, whether it's in the ballpark or whether it's on actual players?

Yes they can. However, most are owned by larger groups and it gets trickier to run a business in the red. 

• Like 1

Orioles are said to be willing to take on salary (as they should be if it helps lead to other young players since they are rebuilding) as they look for OF help. They're totally going to bail the Cubs out of the Chatwood deal (along with Almora or Happ) aren't they? 

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Orioles are said to be willing to take on salary (as they should be if it helps lead to other young players since they are rebuilding) as they look for OF help. They're totally going to bail the Cubs out of the Chatwood deal (along with Almora or Happ) aren't they? 

Image result for tin foil hat joaquin phoenix

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I still think unloading Chatwood is to help them sign a high-priced reliever or 2nd baseman. If Yu or Heyward get traded, then that’s trouble.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still think unloading Chatwood is to help them sign a high-priced reliever or 2nd baseman. If Yu or Heyward get traded, then that’s trouble.

And anyway “taking on salary while looking for OF help” sounds like a team trying to work with the dodgers who are offloading much shorter term deals.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yup, Chatwood’s $13M salary won’t be enough to allow them to add Harper.  And I really can’t see them trading Happ to save $26M anyways.

14 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Man, this place has gone quiet after the meetings ended. Now we wait.

Nothing much new to report on or discuss. Typically there will be activity the last two weeks of December as discussions remain ongoing