Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

This is the kind of move the Sox should make. If someone is going to bail out the Cubs anyway, let it be us. (and hopefully still get Bryant).   Almora and Happ would help this team significantly, and I think even Chatwood is redeemable.  A little creativity would be nice to see.

Almora 2018 WAR: 1.1

Happ 2018 WAR: 1.5

You and I have different definitions of "significant".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Almora 2018 WAR: 1.1

Happ 2018 WAR: 1.5

You and I have different definitions of "significant".

To be fair  Almora had 1.7 WAR (from baseball reference) in 480 PA while Adam Engel had a .6 in 463. So I would say Almora is a significant upgrade over Engel, position for position.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You have more than 9,400 posts and only one like? That's almost impossible lol. 

He's an old timer like me. Most of his posts were prior to the like stuff. He needs to post more.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To be fair  Almora had 1.7 WAR (from baseball reference) in 480 PA while Adam Engel had a .6 in 463. So I would say Almora is a significant upgrade over Engel, position for position.

Without a doubt. The great plays Engel made on D Almora was making each time out damn near. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It might just be semantics but I don't view adding 1 win as a major upgrade. Almora also sits often against tough RHP so as a full time player his value would probably be worse. Also he only had a 89 wRC+ and according to Statcast he actually significantly overperformed, which is frightening. He's not a good hitter. He's better than Engel sure but that's not a high bar.

Edited by OmarComing25
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

It might just be semantics but I don't view adding 1 win as a major upgrade. Almora also sits often against tough RHP so as a full time player his value would probably be worse.

The career OPS of 574 vs. 738 might make it look a little more significant. Plus if you do like WAR look at it this way, Almora had 3X the WAR in 2018 than Engel.

Edited by ptatc

5 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

It might just be semantics but I don't view adding 1 win as a major upgrade. Almora also sits often against tough RHP so as a full time player his value would probably be worse. Also he only had a 89 wRC+ and according to Statcast he actually significantly overperformed, which is frightening. He's not a good hitter. He's better than Engel sure but that's not a high bar.

Almora started off on fire due to an insane amount of hits on mediocre exit velocities. Happ has more upside but is extremely streaky.

CF is our #3 prospect, Robert's in 2020, and if he doesn't develop, as anticipated, there is always Basabe, Gonzales or even Walker. All 3 of those guys are considered to be among our best prospects. I don't see the point of worrying about who is going to be in CF, in a noncompetitive 2019.

Edited by Lillian

The longer he waits to sign, the more he limits the team he’s signing with to add more pieces this winter.  He’s effectively hurting his team’s chances to get better before he even goes there!  If he could sign now, we could go to work on the next guy.  

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Almora started off on fire due to an insane amount of hits on mediocre exit velocities. Happ has more upside but is extremely streaky.

Personally, I would sacrifice the offense for the defense in CF. Happ is adequate in CF but I was impressed with Almora.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

CF is our #3 prospect, Robert's in 2020, and if he doesn't develop, as anticipated, there is always Basabe, Gonzales or even Walker. All 3 of those guys are considered to be among our best prospects. I don't see the point of worrying about who is going to be in CF, in a noncompetitive 2019.

Not just for 2019 but a good cheap 4th OF that is really good defensively and decent with the bat going forward.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Personally, I would sacrifice the offense for the defense in CF. Happ is adequate in CF but I was impressed with Almora.

But with Almora as your CF we'd still be looking to upgrade the position so what's the point? He's a really nice 4th OF but nothing more.

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

The longer he waits to sign, the more he limits the team he’s signing with to add more pieces this winter.  He’s effectively hurting his team’s chances to get better before he even goes there!  If he could sign now, we could go to work on the next guy.  

He's waiting to squeeze every penny from the team that signs him. Odds are any team spending 35 or so million per year aren't going to be making too many more moves, in FA anyway. 

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

But with Almora as your CF we'd still be looking to upgrade the position so what's the point? He's a really nice 4th OF but nothing more.

That's a valuable piece when they are competitive in 2 years. A veteran backup that can play good defense everywhere in the OF.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He's waiting to squeeze every penny from the team that signs him. Odds are any team spending 35 or so million per year aren't going to be making too many more moves, in FA anyway. 

Except the Sox where that would only bring the payroll up to around 60 million or so. They'd still have a ton of money to make more moves.

2 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Except the Sox where that would only bring the payroll up to around 60 million or so. They'd still have a ton of money to make more moves.

No doubt. But that doesn't mean Harper isn't going to wait it out to get more money.