Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

As of right now, they're not wrong. This is the national narrative. Nobody cares about the Sox other than a small group of people in Chicago and Northwest Indiana. 

A portion of the fanbase does not trust Hahn and KW, because they got the Sox in this mess in the first place. If the Sox prospects came up and the majority flat out sucked, including Moncada and others, nobody would be surprised. Why? Because the Sox have a a 25  year track record of of epic failure to produce anything from the farm.  They haven't drafted/signed and developed a star player since Maggs, with the notable exception of Sale. Sale doesn't really count because he was MLB ready out of college. So, you can see why the national media think that it is laughable that the Sox have any sort of future. Sure, Eloy might work out, but after that everyone is a huge massive question mark. 

Nobody cares about the White Sox other than White Sox fans. It is that simple. The Sox are so irrelevant that the two major newspapers don't have their own beat guy for the team and just post AP generic stuff. 

Dude ratchet down.  This is you freaking out about a bears loss all over again.  You don't need to issue the board warnings and tell us all how we feel and our place in sports fandoms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude ratchet down.  This is you freaking out about a bears loss all over again.  You don't need to issue the board warnings and tell us all how we feel and our place in sports fandoms

We can feel however we want, it doesn't mean that the rest of the country doesn't think that the Sox are a massive joke. 

Dude the White Sox are my #1 sports team. I wanted to be different. I grew up in Cub country. This is our choice. Everyone thinks we're weird, we all have the red-headed step child attitude about it. That is fine, when it is warranted, and the Sox are good. We just need to sit down and shut up and take the ribbing. We all know the FO deserves every bit of criticism they get. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

As of right now, they're not wrong. This is the national narrative. Nobody cares about the Sox other than a small group of people in Chicago and Northwest Indiana. 

A portion of the fanbase does not trust Hahn and KW, because they got the Sox in this mess in the first place. If the Sox prospects came up and the majority flat out sucked, including Moncada and others, nobody would be surprised. Why? Because the Sox have a a 25  year track record of of epic failure to produce anything from the farm.  They haven't drafted/signed and developed a star player since Maggs, with the notable exception of Sale. Sale doesn't really count because he was MLB ready out of college. So, you can see why the national media think that it is laughable that the Sox have any sort of future. Sure, Eloy might work out, but after that everyone is a huge massive question mark. 

Nobody cares about the White Sox other than White Sox fans. It is that simple. The Sox are so irrelevant that the two major newspapers in Chicago don't have their own beat guy for the team and just post AP generic stuff. They're not even relevant in Chicago the point that they're  covered. 

Yet here you are posting ad nasuem about them.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

No real news; but Joel Sherman did say that if the Sox sign Harper it will be because they offered the most $$.  He elaborated that the prospects et al don't mean much because the front office has been unproductive for years and that the same guys were in charge.  You rarely hear the media state that unfortunate truth.

Most people looking for a job often go for the bigger payout. Rings come in handy when you are broke and need to sell them.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet here you are posting ad nasuem about them.

Of course, because I care, you do and so does everyone else on this board. We wanted to be different for one reason or another. This is our penance for that. There  is only one way to change the narrative, and that is doing a lot of winning. Let's all hope that Hahn and KW can accomplish that, despite their track record of failure. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We can feel however we want, it doesn't mean that the rest of the country doesn't think that the Sox are a massive joke. 

Man, why are you here?  This type of crap gets old.

If "the rest of the country" thought the White Sox were a joke:

1) They wouldn't be in the national conversation about Bryce Harper

2) They wouldn't be constantly lauded about the strengths of their system

3) They wouldn't be attracting such negative press from borderline sportswriters.

6 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I believe Harper is going to the Dodgers but they are waiting to see if they can shed the necessary salary to make it work.

I am a little surprised we haven’t heard this is false yet from a Dodgers reporter and/or national guy

Just now, AustinIllini said:

Man, why are you here?  This type of crap gets old.

If "the rest of the country" thought the White Sox were a joke:

1) They wouldn't be in the national conversation about Bryce Harper

2) They wouldn't be constantly lauded about the strengths of their system

3) They wouldn't be attracting such negative press from borderline sportswriters.

1. They get mentioned, and quickly dismissed. 

2. Sure they have a lot of talent in the minors, but that means nothing until those players perform at GRF. 

3. The "negative press" you speak about is a "White Sox? Who cares! " and then they go talk about the teams that people actually care about. Did you watch any winter meetings coverage? They'd mention them for about 30 seconds and spend hours talking about the teams the national media think actually matter. 

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. They get mentioned, and quickly dismissed. 

2. Sure they have a lot of talent in the minors, but that means nothing until those players perform at GRF. 

3. The "negative press" you speak about is a "White Sox? Who cares! " and then they go talk about the teams that people actually care about. Did you watch any winter meetings coverage? They'd mention them for about 30 seconds and spend hours talking about the teams the national media think actually matter. 

The only way to not be the Padres, Rays, A’s, Pirates or Royals is to win consistently and create an exciting atmosphere at the ballpark.

This is the way it has always been, there have consistently been 5-6 teams getting 80% of the attention.   Even the Mets are not getting much attention since their pitching dynasty imploded, and they’re in a much bigger market and a WS appearance just three seasons ago.

Edited by caulfield12

In my opinion, the Dodgers have always been kind of the ideal team for Harper.  West coast, near his home, good team, huge city that offers massive stardom and endless marketing opportunities.  They are the team that, from the beginning, I thought, if they get involved, it makes it difficult for everyone else.

So hopefully this is wrong, but hey, if he signs with him, then just move on and double down on Manny.

I found this guy. He is in his early 20s. An Indiana grad living in Chicago. Looks like he has some connection with Anaheim with another twitter account. So I am guessing he is either related to or in some way knows someone with the Angels who gave him the Bour stuff. As to Harper, the same guy may have told him he is going to the Dodgers based on opinion or fact. But I would think if an Angel employee knew, it would be more well known.

Why would the Dodgers devalue all their outfielders...If Harper wanted the best possible team to play for, he’d simply tell them to maximize what they get could back for Puig/Peterson/Kemp and then they could announce a signing.  

Taylor can move back to 2B.

They’d still have Harper, Bellinger, Verdugo, Hernandez, Toles, etc., for the outfield.  Wouldn’t be a great defensive outfield, but they probably don’t care much.

9 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Correct, but say Harper wants to go to the Dodgers and is willing to take 30 million a year to make it work. The Sox offered 35 mil a year. He's waiting on the Dodgers to make moves to give them the 30 mil a year they need. 

Offer $50 million 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would the Dodgers devalue all their outfielders...If Harper wanted the best possible team to play for, he’d simply tell them to maximize what they get could back for Puig/Peterson/Kemp and then they could announce a signing.  

Taylor can move back to 2B.

They’d still have Harper, Bellinger, Verdugo, Hernandez, Toles, etc., for the outfield.  Wouldn’t be a great defensive outfield, but they probably don’t care much.

The only thing I can think of is maybe they think teams like the White Sox and the Phillies if they lost out on Harper and Machado would be the best match to dump a an undesired contract or two for less than what they are being asked for now

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they think teams like the White Sox and the Phillies if they lost out on Harper and Machado would be the best match to dump a an undesired contract or two for less than what they are being asked for now

Or the Indians.

Then we’re back to the Kluber megadeal that frees up an outfield spot for Harper simultaneously.