Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

If the options are (A) not signing him at all, and (B) signing him with a 3 year opt out, I'd still rather sign him with the opt out. 

agreed, get the initial bounce of PR while letting the prospects come up.  Actually makes a ton of sense, as no sure thing you'll want him at his price tag in 5 years.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

These are the three things that could happen, in order of preference from the White Sox:

1. Sign Harper before SoxFest

2. Sign Harper after SoxFest

3. Don't sign Harper at all

The Sox certainly aren't going to be upset if options 1 or 2 happen.

You forgot one: signing Harper during SoxFest 🤯

Just now, fathom said:

I feel like this is said on this board every year for like the last 5 years, but can you imagine how tense the Q&A will be if Manny/Bryce sign elsewhere before soxfest?

Deservedly so. But it will be for all the wrong reasons. JR will be called cheap. They won't get ripped for being in Chicago assembling a team  top players won't play for at any price.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I feel like this is said on this board every year for like the last 5 years, but can you imagine how tense the Q&A will be if Manny/Bryce sign elsewhere before soxfest?

That might not go so well for Hahn, but he is good at the spin machine. On the flip side I wonder how the questions will go for Theo if Harper DOES sign with the Sox when the Cubs have their event. 

3 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

That might not go so well for Hahn, but he is good at the spin machine. On the flip side I wonder how the questions will go for Theo if Harper DOES sign with the Sox when the Cubs have their event. 

"It's good for Chicago. We will continue to be in the market for impact players to help improve our club long term to extend our championship window."

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

agreed, get the initial bounce of PR while letting the prospects come up.  Actually makes a ton of sense, as no sure thing you'll want him at his price tag in 5 years.

Exactly. And if our prospects are playing well and we makes the playoffs in 2021, he may not want to opt out. I'm doing everything I can to sign him, even if it means an early opt out.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Exactly. And if our prospects are playing well and we makes the playoffs in 2021, he may not want to opt out. I'm doing everything I can to sign him, even if it means an early opt out.

If it's really coming down to the difference between a 3 year opt out and a 4 year opt out, you can move some money around and negotiate for a year 4 opt out that makes it worth doing. Even I'm ok with a year 4 opt out if that's the standard everyone else offers.

7 minutes ago, Sockin said:

"It's good for Chicago. We will continue to be in the market for impact players to help improve our club long term to extend our championship window."

“I have a follow up question Theo. Do you look back at the Heyward and Chatwood contracts now and wish you could go back in time and not sign them to pursue a top guy like Harper?”  Since I am not a Cub fan it would be fun to have to see wonder boy Theo have to squirm a little on those deals. 

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I don't know why he bothered saying that stuff - no kidding it's not all about the top financial offer.  Everyone knows that.

Not everyone. Some still insist it's all about the highest offer.