Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

DeRosa just said he doesn’t think Harper will sign with the White Sox because he wants to win championships. He played with him. He’s said he doesn’t think Harper would put faith in all the prospects hitting.

Pretty sure the other day we had DeRosa saying that he could see Harper on the Southside with Eloy, or something along those lines- which goes to show that most of these people are just talking out of their ass. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

DeRosa just said he doesn’t think Harper will sign with the White Sox because he wants to win championships. He played with him. He’s said he doesn’t think Harper would put faith in all the prospects hitting.

I dont blame him at all, if I were Harper and that was my goal I wouldnt want to sign here either. Our top prospects have failed (yes, failed) SO FAR at the MLB level.

Edited by reiks12

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

DeRosa is a total d-bag and not because he said that (although I think he predicted the Sox the night before).  The same applies to Kevin Millar.  Can’t stand MLBN when those two are on.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not biased too much.

All of your points are ignoring point #1. Largest contract. You are assuming money being equal.

If you truly pick LA over Chicago in the summer I can't help you. There are a multitude of reasons Chicago is better. But it's mostly personal preference. 

The number of fans will change with star power and winning. The Sox have a good  plan. They aren't relying on a Sano/Buxton scenario.  They have multiple high level prospects and have the ability to allow some to fail.

April.and May can be brutal to say but many of the games will be on the road. I was referring more to family life. His wife and family, once it starts, will enjoy summer weather and lifestyle  in Chicago much more than LA.

Hands down my Choice would be Chicago. There are few places that can match it for summer life style for.MLB cities.

In all fairness, you have to also include Berrios, Rosario and Kepler...which is still a better "core" than the White Sox have developed previously (unless you somehow want to count Q/Eaton/Abreu as having been "developed" internally) from the minors in the last 15 years.

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

If I were Harper I wou

I dont blame him at all, if I were Harper and that was my goal I wouldnt want to sign here either. Our top prospects have failed (yes, failed) SO FAR at the MLB level.

Lol...this is absurd.  Moncada, Anderson, & Lopez were all league average players last year as 23, 25, & 24 year olds respectively.  That isn’t reaching their potential, but it’s far from failure and they have plenty of time to improve.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...this is absurd.  Moncada, Anderson, & Lopez were all league average players last year as 23, 25, & 24 year olds respectively.  That isn’t reaching their potential, but it’s far from failure and they have plenty of time to improve.

Also where Hahn needs to sell him on using the resources for other upgrades next few years.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In all fairness, you have to also include Berrios, Rosario and Kepler...which is still a better "core" than the White Sox have developed previously (unless you somehow want to count Q/Eaton/Abreu as having been "developed" internally) from the minors in the last 15 years.

I believe the question was about the current farm system and the future players not the farm system in the past 15 years.

This current rebuild is a big difference in philosophy than the past 15 years. 

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

If I was Harper I’d want to fulfill the dreams of  a tired adult man who posts on a baseball web site, and I don’t see why mlbn doesn’t represent this viewpoint.

I might throw old into the the description myself. 

Just now, pcq said:

Do players really want to go to a winner or be part of a winner. I don't think a year of rebuilding would scare anyone off. 

I would think most want to go to a team that will win. I don't know how many teams will consistently win over the 10 years of his contract. Why not look at a team that looks like it will have a good run starting in a year or two.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless you told him you’re willing to pay over $300M for Machado as well, and that you won’t stop there. 🤷🏻‍♂

Well, it's almost impossible to argue the Dodgers, Yankees and Cubs aren't well set up to be winners for the next 3-4 years (right around the time the first opt-out would theoretically kick in)...although the Cubs will have their work cut out for them, especially on the pitching side.

If Moreno really wanted to shake up things, he could go after Harper, pairing him with Trout and Ohtani.  That SHOULD be a marketer's dream, yet the idea of him "being THE man" has to have at least SOME appeal to any star player.

Same with a team like that Giants that have tried to hold on around a core of Posey and strong defense/pitching but desperately needs another elite position player.  You'd have to think SF would be one of the top 5 markets for a player to select.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

2. Good look for the future with farm system

6.  Do the Sox have the people in place to turn the farm system in 2. into a winner?  HIs best friend played for Rick Renteria (who's obviously not a mere placeholder)...I wonder what he thought of the experience.

Edited by GreenSox

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

6.  Do the Sox have the people in place to turn the farm system in 2. into a winner?  HIs best friend played for Rick Renteria (who's obviously not a mere placeholder)...I wonder what he thought of the experience.

Good questions. I think the answers are unknown.  He will need to put that I to his decisions.

It really does come down to how much confidence Boras/Harper have in Hahn/Hostetler/Getz/Vizquel/Renteria, etc.

Thinking about what happened with the Nationals' clubhouse/chemistry this year, past incidents...stability and "respect" for the coaching staff/manager has to be one of the biggest issues.

For the Cubs, there's so much uncertainty hanging over Maddon right now.  Maybe Harper believes he can just stride right into the clubhouse, win another WS title for the Cubs and everything will take care of itself.  It's difficult to imagine he would want to sign with a team, then have a guy like Girardi or even Scioscia come in the following season.

I think that's also another thing working against the Sox...Renteria has been positioned as a placeholder and not good enough for "playoff-caliber" teams, so how would that work to the favor of Reinsdorf and Hahn?   He's going to tell Harper let's just get through this season and Omar Vizquel will be the manager in 2020?   Doesn't seem likely they would take the risk of something like that getting out.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It really does come down to how much confidence Boras/Harper have in Hahn/Hostetler/Getz/Vizquel/Renteria, etc.

Thinking about what happened with the Nationals' clubhouse/chemistry this year, past incidents...stability and "respect" for the coaching staff/manager has to be one of the biggest issues.

For the Cubs, there's so much uncertainty hanging over Maddon right now.  Maybe Harper believes he can just stride right into the clubhouse, win another WS title for the Cubs and everything will take care of itself.  It's difficult to imagine he would want to sign with a team, then have a guy like Girardi or even Scioscia come in the following season.

I think that's also another thing working against the Sox...Renteria has been positioned as a placeholder and not good enough for "playoff-caliber" teams, so how would that work to the favor of Reinsdorf and Hahn?   He's going to tell Harper let's just get through this season and Omar Vizquel will be the manager in 2020?   Doesn't seem likely they would take the risk of something like that getting out.

Not to mention there are no indications that the Cubs are even in it. So there's that.