Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

the Cubs are keeping Darvish AND Hamels on in 2019, 

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

I doubt machado agent going tell boras how much hes getting from white sox and other teams.

i don't think that either, but if i'm Harper/Boras, i can wait for Machado to sign a contract and set the price tag FIRST. 

Edited by peppers312

Carmen Defalco on ESPN 1000 made a deal on air he would do "fun run" with fans from their State street studio down to the G Spot if the Sox sign Harper. He just said on air that Brooks Boyer texted him and said everybody that runs will get an Opening Day ticket.

So either Brooks knows we are getting Harper or certainly believes it is very possible. Not exactly a sign of what's going to happen but I find it somewhat interesting.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Honestly, that seems like a pretty spot-on summary of where things probably stand at the moment.  The Cubs not really involved (despite rumors to the contrary), while the Dodgers have some interest but are unlikely to do something crazy.  Seems like from an dollars standpoint, we’re probably at the top right now.  Whether that remains to be the case or he simply prefers other things is impossible to say, but I don’t know how people could be anything but optimistic at the moment.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Will that backfire if Machado's contract ends up being a lot smaller than expected?

maybe, but i don't see the harm in waiting another week to hear salary rumors circulate to maximize your own deal. 

and i don't think interest in Harper is going to wane by not signing a deal before leaving Vegas. 

Offer Harper,  let him and Boras know he has a set number of days to decide if he wants to be on the Sox,  then the offer disappears and you disclose to everyone what you offered in a press conference. 

He he doesn’t sign then offer Machado , same deal. 

I want a guy who wants to be on the Sox. 

If we lose out on these guys then they didn’t want to be here and you  try to get a pitcher or two and try to get one more decent stick. 

Edited by Lightning

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Then why hasn't he already signed with us or Philadelphia?

Because there are still two desperate teams involved.  And even when there is one, his agent is Scott Boras and will use the threat of the Cubs & Dodgers to force that team to bid against himself.  This Boras’s MO.

3 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

You don't need a source figure out harper was going wait on the cubs as long as he have too sign there.

Waiting on the Cubs is a fools errand and Boras would be the worst agent in baseball if he lets his client do that.

First, the Cubs can sign Harper today and then worry about trading contracts later. There is nothing that stops them from doing this. If you want something really bad, you dont put contingencies on it happening first.

Second, if the Cubs were really that serious about Harper, they wouldnt have paid Cole Hamels $20mil for next year, to then turn around and need to shed a bunch of salary.

To me the Cubs are nothing more than a boogeyman. Maybe they will sign him, but if they really want Harper, they should sign him first and then worry about everything else later. If they cant add Harper's salary for this year, they arent really as flush with cash as people think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Offer Harper,  let him and Boras know he has a set number of days to decide if he wants to be on the Sox,  then the offer disappears and you disclose to everyone what you offered in a press conference. 

He he doesn’t sign the offer Machado , same deal. 

If we lose out on these guys then they didn’t want to be here and you  try to get a pitcher or two and try to get one more decent stick. 

That is very bad idea I wouldn't do that.

6 minutes ago, Lightning said:

He he doesn’t sign the offer Machado , same deal. 

Pulling an offer away from Boras does not make the offer go away unless they can sign Machado for the same money, and right now that's not a threat. If the White Sox were to say "our offer is pulled" and Boras came back with an honest proposal the next day, the White Sox would listen and he knows that. But more than that, brinskmanship only works if the threat is reasonable. The White Sox would be shooting themselves in the feet with not only Boras, but with every other free agent available in future years. If you want to get a reputation that your management is of the quality of the Chicago Bulls, this is a way to do it. They would not and should not threaten their own credibility as a professionally run organization just to get this negotiation done early.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Machado hasn't met with anyone yet apparently and Harper's agent is Scott Boras, Scott Boras is only going to have his player sign now if he thinks there's a real chance that his best offer could evaporate with nothing comparable available. At least for the near future, there's no pressure for either of them to finish.

Me & Balta rarely agree, but I 100% agree with this.  Boras still has time to work the system and try to increase Harper’s offers.  Giving the Cubs & Dodgers a chance to get serious is an added benefit for them, but under no circumstance are they primarily waiting for the Cubs to trade off millions of dead salary in a Hail Mary attempt.  Way too many variables for that to make a lick of sense.