Sox trade with Rangers?

Sockin

I know this wasn't what this thread was about - but I'd love for the Sox to kick the tires on Jurickson Profar. Timing may be bad as you're buying high, but I think of him as an upgraded Leury and Yolmer combined. He brings you the ability to roster an extra arm in the bullpen because his ability to play 3b, ss, 2b, 1b, as well as the corner positions.

For those of you that don't remember he was a MAJOR prospect who debuted at age 19. Some injuries and mixed results, but finally had a breakout year at age 25 last year. almost 600 Ab's with 88 strikeouts (LOVE TO SEE THAT), hit 35 doubles, 20 homers, stole 10 bases without getting caught once... hes a FA in 2021. So you'd get 3 controlled years out of him. Not sure the cost of him to the rangers.. but I'd love to grab him. He's not going to be a world beater but the kind of swiss army knife you love to have on a team. Play 100 games and can eliminate a bench spot.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I know this wasn't what this thread was about - but I'd love for the Sox to kick the tires on Jurickson Profar. Timing may be bad as you're buying high, but I think of him as an upgraded Leury and Yolmer combined. He brings you the ability to roster an extra arm in the bullpen because his ability to play 3b, ss, 2b, 1b, as well as the corner positions.

For those of you that don't remember he was a MAJOR prospect who debuted at age 19. Some injuries and mixed results, but finally had a breakout year at age 25 last year. almost 600 Ab's with 88 strikeouts (LOVE TO SEE THAT), hit 35 doubles, 20 homers, stole 10 bases without getting caught once... hes a FA in 2021. So you'd get 3 controlled years out of him. Not sure the cost of him to the rangers.. but I'd love to grab him. He's not going to be a world beater but the kind of swiss army knife you love to have on a team. Play 100 games and can eliminate a bench spot.

He's a free agent after 2020 (according to Baseball Reference). I think he's going to play 3B for them next year now that Beltre has retired.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

If he’s a free agent in 2021, then you’d only get two years of control out of him. And quite frankly, he’s going to cost way too much prospect currency to make sense for us.

On the pitching front it has been stated, but needs to be reiterated. We are at the stage where we need to see if these young arms can take steps. You don't bring some jamoke in to add to the list of Burr, Hamilton, Burdi, Stephens, Fulmer, etc. when we need to give these guys the opportunity to shine. You put a proven guy like Colome at the back end of the BP. This allows the young guys opportunities to step up throughout the season without having to be the guy. As far as grabbing a 5th starter and having a "cheap tryout," I think the point that is missed is that Hahn is on to something else to solidify the rotation. Otherwise he would have gone that direction with the rule 5 draft. Maybe he thinks Cease is closer than we are giving him credit for or Meideros for that matter. This plan has been too solid from the get go for him to screw up something like SP now.