Are White Sox fans being "silly" thinking we are going to get Harper?

vilehoopster

So I was watching ESPN this week on the Harper topic. The first show was (I don't know for sure) MLB Baseball, I think. So it had a panel of five guys, and the first topic was where will Bryce Harper end up. (I don't remember too well, so don't call me out.) But the first guy says the Phillies, the next guy says the Dodgers. Then the next guy says the White Sox, and the other two guys start laughing. I'm not kidding; they chuckled at that one. 

Then yesterday on Pardon the Interruption, Tony Kornheiser was talking about where Harper might end up. He mentioned the Philles, the Dodgers, and the Yankees. Then as he was ending up his talk he said, almost this exactly, "The idea that Harper is going to the White Sox is just silly." If this was Wilbon, the Pro-Cub A-hole, I could have just dismissed it, but I don't know. I'm starting to feel maybe I've been delusional about getting Harper. 

Are we White Sox fans just fooling ourselves thinking there's a good chance we could get Harper?

6 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

So I was watching ESPN this week on the Harper topic. The first show was (I don't know for sure) MLB Baseball, I think. So it had a panel of five guys, and the first topic was where will Bryce Harper end up. (I don't remember too well, so don't call me out.) But the first guy says the Phillies, the next guy says the Dodgers. Then the next guy says the White Sox, and the other two guys start laughing. I'm not kidding; they chuckled at that one. 

Then yesterday on Pardon the Interruption, Tony Kornheiser was talking about where Harper might end up. He mentioned the Philles, the Dodgers, and the Yankees. Then as he was ending up his talk he said, almost this exactly, "The idea that Harper is going to the White Sox is just silly." If this was Wilbon, the Pro-Cub A-hole, I could have just dismissed it, but I don't know. I'm starting to feel maybe I've been delusional about getting Harper. 

Are we White Sox fans just fooling ourselves thinking there's a good chance we could get Harper?

Just remember ESPN likes to forget the WHITE Sox exist. They are hoping he goes one of their teams.

• Like 1

The best argument I can give that this isn't silly is the words coming out of Rick Hahn's mouth.  He has had every chance to downplay his chances at this, and he consistently does not. They have made it clear in public that they are in this game to win one of them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The best argument I can give that this isn't silly is the words coming out of Rick Hahn's mouth.  He has had every chance to downplay his chances at this, and he consistently does not. They have made it clear in public that they are in this game to win one of them. 

Agree, unless he is doing it for show.  We should know the answer by end of January. 

RIck Hahn and Kenny Williams have had multiple opportunities to temper expectations. They have done so in the past (Cespedes). Instead they have made no secret that they are going after big time Free agents. This is different and encouraging. Also, respected reporters like Heyman and Rosenthal have called it a real possibility. Also just looking at the financial outlook of all teams "involved" it's a no brainer.

Edited by Orlando

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree, unless he is doing it for show.  We should know the answer by end of January. 

In the other threads they make fun of me for wanting to lose because I don't think that adding mid-level free agents is a good path to winning. I will be flat out disappointed if we strike out on both of these guys. 

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What I find interesting, why is the idea of Harper going to the White Sox so crazy but Harper going to the Phillies is normal?

I think it's because they've shown in the past that they will spend. Back when the Phillies were on their competitive run, they were consistently a top 5 salary team, even being top 2 a few years.

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What I find interesting, why is the idea of Harper going to the White Sox so crazy but Harper going to the Phillies is normal?

The Phillies have spent big on players much more recently than us. They have signed Cole Hamels, Ryan Howard, Jake Arrieta to big deals. They have had a $175 million payroll before. They're down the road from New York and not the 2nd team in their city. They are farther along in their rebuild than we are. The big media are used to them being players for guys. I'm ok with that, what they say or feel doesn't bother me as long as we get one of these guys.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Phillies have spent big on players much more recently than us. They have signed Cole Hamels, Ryan Howard, Jake Arrieta to big deals. They have had a $175 million payroll before. They're down the road from New York and not the 2nd team in their city. They are farther along in their rebuild than we are. The big media are used to them being players for guys. I'm ok with that, what they say or feel doesn't bother me as long as we get one of these guys.

The only reason the Phillies are further along in their rebuild than the Sox is that they've done the exact thing that the you so adamantly campaign against.  The Sox young talent is deeper and more impressive than Philly.  The only difference is they have more established major leaguers, because they've been willing to spend money to supplement their young team.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The only reason the Phillies are further along in their rebuild than the Sox is that they've done the exact thing that the you so adamantly campaign against.  The Sox young talent is deeper and more impressive than Philly.  The only difference is they have more established major leaguers, because they've been willing to spend money to supplement their young team.  

No, it's because their young guys are ahead of us. Go find a White Sox youngster who performed at the level of Aaron Nola last year, I'll wait.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, it's because their young guys are ahead of us. Go find a White Sox youngster who performed at the level of Aaron Nola last year, I'll wait.

Lol, one player that impacts at most 20% of the games is your reasoning?   Nola is a stud, and I agree we don't have a SP that has put up those kind of numbers.  He's also probably going to be a free agent a season after the Phillies actually get good again. 

Actually it was Eduardo Perez who was laughed at for saying White Sox by Bustner Olney and someone else. He basically said it was like ARod going to the Rangers, they aren't going to win anything, and it was on MLBN. 

The fact is, money usually wins out at the end. If the Sox offer the most they will probably win. No one saw ARod to Texas coming. No one saw Pujols to the Angels coming. Everyone was convinced Cano would stay with the Yankees, let alone go to Seattle. So it's feasible the Sox could win the bidding. 

Whether the Sox will offer significantly more, it seems doubtful. If winning is very important, trusting RH and KW to win will probably be a stretch, considering he can go to teams that either are already winning or have a better history of doing so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, one player that impacts at most 20% of the games is your reasoning?   Nola is a stud, and I agree we don't have a SP that has put up those kind of numbers.  He's also probably going to be a free agent a season after the Phillies actually get good again. 

And if you wanted, you could go through their list and find multiple other guys that performed at the level of Moncada/Anderson. So they've got a stud and several reliable guys, especially in their fairly young rotation, who are the reason why they're ahead of us. Jake Arrieta and Carlos Santana did not improve them by 15 wins last year, they improved because they're 1 or 2 years ahead of us.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Other than Nola & Hoskins, they haven’t developed much.  They just have more of their young guys already on the roster, whereas we have a signicant amount of reinforcements coming.  I’d agree they are ahead of us, but not substantially.

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think there is at least some effort to land Harper, but It would be a pretty horrific marketing for a team to go “Nope, not interested in the best players.” I wouldn’t take anything any gm says to the media very seriously 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And if you wanted, you could go through their list and find multiple other guys that performed at the level of Moncada/Anderson. So they've got a stud and several reliable guys, especially in their fairly young rotation, who are the reason why they're ahead of us. Jake Arrieta and Carlos Santana did not improve them by 15 wins last year, they improved because they're 1 or 2 years ahead of us.

But the improvement to 80 wins was worthless though, right?