Are White Sox fans being "silly" thinking we are going to get Harper?

vilehoopster

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wouldn't say silly is accurate, but there probably is a bit more optimism than there should be, especially if you are optimistic enough that if he goes somewhere else you are going to be really pissed off.

I think the optimism on this board is way too low, but then again I think Jerry is prepared to offer a record setting contract.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Color me cautiously optimistic. It's cool that there is a lot of talk about it, but I can't see him agreeing to come here. I hope he does, but man, I just can't see it.

The dragging out is what is irritating. When the Sox signed Albert Belle, we pretty much found out about it the night before it was announced. I remember Ed Farmer was a guest on a radio talk show, and he was confirming he was told it was a done deal. Abreu was pretty much the same way. For the Sox to win this, it will require a winning bid and a long drawn out process, something we haven't seen. 

If their rebuild is banking on getting one of these guys, not getting him especially since it's only for money and a 2nd round pick in Harper's case, would seem like a gigantic setback. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Am I the only one that's not that excited because Harper isn't that good? I mean, he's good, but he's not $40MM good. 

If you don’t believe there is a financial benefit to the intangibles he brings, then  it’s far less likely he’s worth the money.  That being said, just two years ago he was on pace for a 6.5 fWAR season.  I’d happily pay $40M/year for a 26 year that can provide that type of production, but obviously that emails to be seen.

10 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think there is at least some effort to land Harper, but It would be a pretty horrific marketing for a team to go “Nope, not interested in the best players.” I wouldn’t take anything any gm says to the media very seriously 

It's really not that hard to deny that you're really interested in these guys even if you are. Great example - Brian Cashman of the Yankees has repeatedly denied interest in both of them, even if it's not true. The Nationals GM also pretty much said "Welp we're out on Harper" publicly. It's also not that hard to be noncommital. The White Sox are specifically not doing either of those.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the optimism on this board is way too low, but then again I think Jerry is prepared to offer a record setting contract.

But all the info we have really, is based on reports that contradict themselves almost daily. For each report he is a lock to go to the White Sox, there is a report basically saying there is no chance. 

I do think Lillian may be on to something though. Of all the teams mentioned to be in on him big time, at least with a couple it may be fake Boras news. To me the worst case scenerio has Harper to the Cubs, Machado to NYY. Another bad one would be if LAD and the Cubs were fake and Machado went to the Yankees and Harper to PHI. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If you don’t believe there is a financial benefit to the intangibles he brings, then  it’s far less likely he’s worth the money.  That being said, just two years ago he was on pace for a 6.5 fWAR season.  I’d happily pay $40M/year for a 26 year that can provide that type of production, but obviously that emails to be seen.

I don't believe any baseball player in 2018 has enough star power to offset that big of an overpay. If we're talking about somebody like Betts, Yelich or Lindor, then I'd be excited. Harper? Meh. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was the difference in win total from Arrieta and Santana worth nearly $50 million?

They went from 66 to 80 wins, obviously didn't lose too much money as their owner said he was prepared to spend stupid money. 80 is far more attractive than 62. At least you can see real light at the end of the tunnel.  That included a collapse. So their projection is probably still up. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But all the info we have really, is based on reports that contradict themselves almost daily. For each report he is a lock to go to the White Sox, there is a report basically saying there is no chance. 

I do think Lillian may be on to something though. Of all the teams mentioned to be in on him big time, at least with a couple it may be fake Boras news. To me the worst case scenerio has Harper to the Cubs, Machado to NYY. Another bad one would be if LAD and the Cubs were fake and Machado went to the Yankees and Harper to PHI. 

But it’s not just rumors though.  We know the Cubs have budget issues and can’t afford Harper (I am 100% certain of this).  We know the Dodgers don’t like giving out big contracts and have publically shared a plan to keep their payroll below the luxury tax.  We know the Yankees have said they’re out and from a roster standpoint that makes perfect sense.  We know the Nationals have said they’re out and have already spent the money that could have been used towards Bryce.  The Phillies remain the wild card IMO, because we know they said they were prepared for some dumb spending, but haven’t really done much to live up to that billing.  It does sound like they haven’t met with Harper (which may be a rumor), adding even fuel to support the theory they prefer Machado.

I guess what I’m saying is the market is actually shaking out for us to win this thing just like it did when we got Jose Abreu.  The key is the money has to be there and that requires the biggest leap of faith if you’re trying to be objective.  I truly believe that things are different now and with Jerry’s increasing age he will be willing to make the financial commitment necessary to pull this off, but I can understand posters having their doubts on that part.

11 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't believe any baseball player in 2018 has enough star power to offset that big of an overpay. If we're talking about somebody like Betts, Yelich or Lindor, then I'd be excited. Harper? Meh. 

I guess I strongly disagree with that, but it’s not something either of us can really quantify (sorry Q score) so to each their own.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can't really gauge how optimistic the board is sometimes. I guess it depends on the most recent rumor. I'd be interested to see where people stand on this question right now...

Gun to your head, do we land at least one of Machado or Harper?

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's really not that hard to deny that you're really interested in these guys even if you are. Great example - Brian Cashman of the Yankees has repeatedly denied interest in both of them, even if it's not true. The Nationals GM also pretty much said "Welp we're out on Harper" publicly. It's also not that hard to be noncommital. The White Sox are specifically not doing either of those.

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/yankees-gm-brian-cashman-has-spoken-with-free-agent-manny-machados-agent-multiple-times/301667776

Cashman publicly stated he’s spoken to Machado’s agent multiple times. 

And the Nats publicly made a very large offer to Harper trying to retain his services. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I can't really gauge how optimistic the board is sometimes. I guess it depends on the most recent rumor. I'd be interested to see where people stand on this question right now...

Yes.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

tbh this is the least likely scenario and I'm actually okay with that one. Worst to me would be the first one you mentioned.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think it's because they've shown in the past that they will spend. Back when the Phillies were on their competitive run, they were consistently a top 5 salary team, even being top 2 a few years.

But lets say the White Sox and Phillies offer the same amount. People are acting like signing with the Sox would ruin his career while signing with Philly is a great move.

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes because of resources being limited for each team we are competing with. Meaning, there’s only so much teams can spend and still compete. We should end up with one of them.

Right now I think there are less teams willing to give Harper $300+ mil than people think. I dont even know if the Sox would sign him without first seeing where they stand with Machado. My opinion with 0 sources is that Machado has multiple suitors who believe he is a better fit than Harper. Harper is now having to wait on teams decision with Machado. 

For Machado I think its the Philies, Yankees and Sox. For Harper, I think its the Sox and Phillies. 

Boras is putting on a show because the market isnt as hot as he wants it to be. But I think that he knows hell get 10/300 at minimum. 

• Like 1