White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

I'm still a little bitter losing Kevan Smith.  I realize he was a marginal player and all...but moreso Kevan Smith the person than catcher.  But he did a great job for this team and organization IMO.  Will always be a fan of his...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I'm still a little bitter losing Kevan Smith.  I realize he was a marginal player and all...but moreso Kevan Smith the person than catcher.  But he did a great job for this team and organization IMO.  Will always be a fan of his...

I didn’t even think much of Kevan Smith, but McCann is actually a downgrade IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

It's like the Sox only target catchers whose value is only high if you ignore the influence of framing

Seems like a weird statement after trading Narvaez and signing Castillo a year ago.  Plus, as has been discussed, there are some problems with using pitch framing as the most important factor as it seems like it is pretty volatile.  

I have to agree heartily with the preferring Kevan Smith though.

Edited by turnin' two

15 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I'm happy with this because it rules out Grandal.  He is going to get paid a lot and cost a draft pick.  I don't really buy into him.  This also may show that the Sox have some level of faith in Zavala and Collins in about a year.

$15M AAV for an elite framer and high OBP catcher when we have nothing committed long term isn’t a lot IMO. I also think we’d potentially be getting him at a value due to his strange issues in the playoffs. 

But that ship appears to have sailed. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

It's like the Sox only target catchers whose value is only high if you ignore the influence of framing

It's really weird. I mean, last year they made show of it with Castillos improvement and it being why they signed him. But like Flowers completely scarred them and they just keep throwing average offensive/terrible defensive catcher one after another, and trade away home grown completely acceptable catchers if that's their only goal.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

$15M AAV for an elite farmer and high OBP catcher when we have nothing committed long term isn’t a lot IMO. I also think we’d potentially be getting him at a value due to his strange issues in the playoffs. 

But that ship appears to have sailed. 

Well now, I didn't know that!  If it is corn than he definitely would have worked here in Illinois!  😀

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

I don’t get the point. He shouldn’t cost anything but if you’re going to get a light hitting catcher at least get a decent framer.

This move really makes me angry.  We have three young starting pitchers that could be helped tremendously by having an excellent framer and trading Narvaez seemed to suggest that was the path we were going.  But nope, we got to go out and sign a catcher that’s better but still bad.  Incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1