White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

If rather have Colome and McCann over just Naveaz. We’ve managed to turn one player who won’t be on our championship team into someone who could be. For next season it doesn’t matter that Navaez is better than McCann, all that matters is Castillo earns his money and McCann isn’t a train wreak until Seby or Collins arrive.

Just now, Colinski said:

If rather have Colome and McCann over just Naveaz. We’ve managed to turn one player who won’t be on our championship team into someone who could be. For next season it doesn’t matter that Navaez is better than McCann, all that matters is Castillo earns his money and McCann isn’t a train wreak until Seby or Collins arrive.

You are forgetting that you'd have Narvaez and $9,000,000 to spend on a reliever or Colome and McCann.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This move really makes me angry.  We have three young starting pitchers that could be helped tremendously by having an excellent framer and trading Narvaez seemed to suggest that was the path we were going.  But nope, we got to go out and sign a catcher that’s better but still bad.  Incredibly frustrating.

Narvaez was bilingual as well.  

Just now, Colinski said:

I gotta go the other way. We added $10 million in payroll, made the bullpen better, but made the catcher's spot substantially worse, and we traded away a possibly useful asset. With $10 million in payroll, we could have made the bullpen better without subtracting from the catcher's spot and losing a potential trade asset.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This move really makes me angry.  We have three young starting pitchers that could be helped tremendously by having an excellent framer and trading Narvaez seemed to suggest that was the path we were going.  But nope, we got to go out and sign a catcher that’s better but still bad.  Incredibly frustrating.

I hate to admit it, but this seems like a move that's a clear notch in the W column for those that want to either stand pat, or try for Harper/Machado, but not much else.  Sure, we having Wellington who has the capability to an above average regular at least offensively, so improving at catcher wasn't a giant priority, but when you have a guy like Grandal out on the FA market, its a bit disappointing.

McCann was pretty much at the bottom of my wishlist of the catcher FAs.  And while $2.5M isn't a huge sum, its enough that they clearly intend to have him on the roster.  I would have just kept Kevan Smith if this was the plan.  

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

You are forgetting that you'd have Narvaez and $9,000,000 to spend on a reliever or Colome and McCann.  

I don’t disagree, what I am hoping for is signing colome and signing another reliever aren’t mutually exclusive. We get Colome and defo still have the money to get Ottivano or similar.

dont get me wrong. I don’t love this signing, I just don’t hate it as much as some of the others.

Edited by Colinski

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It's a month or so stop gap until Zavala. That said I dont get why we cut Smith.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hate to admit it, but this seems like a move that's a clear notch in the W column for those that want to either stand pat, or try for Harper/Machado, but not much else.  Sure, we having Wellington who has the capability to an above average regular at least offensively, so improving at catcher wasn't a giant priority, but when you have a guy like Grandal out on the FA market, its a bit disappointing.

McCann was pretty much at the bottom of my wishlist of the catcher FAs.  And while $2.5M isn't a huge sum, its enough that they clearly intend to have him on the roster.  I would have just kept Kevan Smith if this was the plan.  

100% agree.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's a month or so stop gap until Zavala. That said I dont get why we cut Smith.

Look, I’m a huge Zavala fan and am aware he was hurt last year, but he hasn’t done anything in AAA yet to warrant early callup consideration.  

Also, I view our moves at catcher as investments in our young pitching.  I’d rather have signed a guy like Maldonado for like $5M and traded him at the All-Star break then have Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito be forced to work with another poor framer for half a season.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

A spaceholder until Seby is ready.

At $2.5M? Why not just give a couple dudes minor league deals to Duke it out for the back up role if we’re talking about just a month or two stopgap. 

McCann is the backup next season.