White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This thread is as SoxTalk as it gets. Everyone freaking out about a backup catcher who is nothing but a one year placeholder. Chill.  

Yes, kind of, but I have a hard time believing Maldonado is going to get more than 1 year. Anyways, this is small potatoes but indicates a greater flaw in the way the White Sox evaluate players. That is why I don't care for it.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

This thread is as SoxTalk as it gets. Everyone freaking out about a backup catcher who is nothing but a one year placeholder. Chill.  

I think its a pretty legit indication that the Sox are Harper/Machado or bust.  I think that is why some people are upset by the move.  James McCann is not a guy a team signs that is interested in trying to put a decent product on the field.  We have also traded away a similarly defensively challenged catcher for a good not great bullpen arm, when the org could have signed someone similar for similar money, without giving up said asset.  And we also gave away another passable option for nothing.  

Either keep Narvaez and just sign a reliever off FA, and wait for a better opportunity to trade Narvaez.  Or keep Smith (for less $). Puzzling move to say the least.  Its minor, but still doesn't add up. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

A lot of outrage over someone who's gonna play 20 games over 2-3 months and then be DFA'd for Seby

If that is the plan, why not just give someone that actually holds the platoon with Wellington a minor league deal to play 15 games before Zavala comes up?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

A lot of outrage over someone who's gonna play 20 games over 2-3 months and then be DFA'd for Seby

I think the outrage is over Hahn trading the #5 offensive catcher in 2018, who is Pre-arb in exchange for a reliever that makes about what he'd get on the free market.... seemingly because Narvaez was poor defensively.  Meaning you gave him away for little to nothing.

THEN turning around and replacing him with a very similar (poor defense) if not worse player for more money.

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

So because your take was brutal (talking about McCann's upside and defensive prowess) now it doesn't matter because he is just a backup catcher?  

My take was fine. He put up a 1.5 fWAR in 2017. That is worth $2.5 million. He still has another year of arb. If he sucks, so what? Most back up catchers suck. Since 2015 according to fangraphs, his defense has always been positive. Steamer projects about a half a WAR as a part timer. Right in line. And yes, if your team needs to add about 34 wins to make the playoffs, freaking out about a back up catcher is psycho. 

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I think the outrage is over Hahn trading the #5 offensive catcher in 2018, who is Pre-arb in exchange for a reliever that makes about what he'd get on the free market.... seemingly because Narvaez was poor defensively.  Meaning you gave him away for little to nothing.

THEN turning around and replacing him with a very similar (poor defense) if not worse player for more money.

This. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

A backup catcher that could potentially have up to 50 to 60 starts (if Seby isn’t ready) with our young pitchers is kind of a big deal to me.

Besides framing, they also might have wanted someone with a strong arm due to how bad our starters are at holding runners.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

A backup catcher that could potentially have up to 50 to 60 starts (if Seby isn’t ready) with our young pitchers is kind of a big deal to me.

Guy has 40,000 posts and tells people they are insane for discussing one of the 25 players that will be on the team next season immediately after he is acquired.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think counting on Zavala to contribute much this season ranks up there with the front office’s idea that Adrian Nieto was going to be with the Sox for a decade as he developed...Zavala is more likely another Delmonico/Skole/Cordell and likely the 24th or 25th player on the roster until he can prove the ability to hit in AAA and stick at catcher instead of LF.

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Omar is the definition of a replacement catcher.  Anything he gave you with the stick, he more than gave back behind the plate.  Let's not pretend that he is something special by ripping all 50% of the pages of  his story.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Who?

Stephen Vogt or Jose Lobaton would have been cheap (likely milb deals) and actually hold a platoon advantage with Wellington.  Vogt sucks defensively, not sure on Lobaton of fhand.  Even guys like Caleb Joseph, Rene Rivera, AJ Ellis would have been better options.

It is what it is.  Mainly just bored at work and have been craving a Sox move to talk about, as opposed to actually being outraged by this deal.  Its not really a big thing - but I do think its a puzzling fit based on the Narvaez and Smith moves, and as someone who was really hoping for Grandal in addition to one (or both) of the whales,  I am disappointed.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Omar is the definition of a replacement catcher.  Anything he gave you with the stick, he more than gave back behind the plate.  Let's not pretend that he is something special by ripping all 50% of the pages of  his story.

Except he wasn't.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/narvaom01.shtml