White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think the move is anything to freak out about over.  And it is just 2.5M so it technically doesn't prevent the Sox from going after Grandal with McCann as the backup (and moving Castillo seperately).  However, I do believe if the team intends to contend, it should be looking at upgrading the catcher position.  

I don’t think there’s any chance the Sox sign this deal if they thought they were really in on Grandal. 

And I’m not saying they need Grandal. But they should at least try NOT to get a guy that’s going to make it even harder for their young pitchers to throw strikes.

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

If anything, I think this move is a good thing. It shows that they believe in Collins to stick at catcher long term. That is way more important than freaking out about one year of James McCann as the backup catcher. 

They have no choice but to believe in him. They sure aren't going to give up on him and admit that Hostetler was a complete dumbass saying he wouiuld've picked him 1-1.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I don't care either way. I have heard of this guy which for greg is something to cheer about when we make a move.

However, these 2 graphs in the ESPN story intrigue greg. ...

The article said: "The 28-year-old McCann hit .220 with eight homers and 39 RBIs in 118 games last season with Detroit. The rebuilding Tigers didn't offer him a contract for the 2019 season, making him a free agent.McCann was selected by the White Sox in the 31st round of the 2008 draft, but he decided to go to the University of Arkansas instead. He then was drafted by the Tigers in the second round in 2011."

The rebuilding Tigers don't want him but the rebuilding Sox do? Weird. He is a former second round pick. That's talent right there according to scouts. GO SOX!

Just now, greg775 said:

I don't care either way. I have heard of this guy which for greg is something to cheer about when we make a move.

The article said: "The 28-year-old McCann hit .220 with eight homers and 39 RBIs in 118 games last season with Detroit. The rebuilding Tigers didn't offer him a contract for the 2019 season, making him a free agent.McCann was selected by the White Sox in the 31st round of the 2008 draft, but he decided to go to the University of Arkansas instead. He then was drafted by the Tigers in the second round in 2011."

The rebuilding Tigers don't want him but the rebuilding Sox do? Weird. He is a former second round pick. That's talent right there according to scouts. GO SOX!

He was probably due to get more in arbitration and the Tigers didn't want to pay it.

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There we go. KW never gives up on a player he wants. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

If anything, I think this move is a good thing. It shows that they believe in Collins to stick at catcher long term. That is way more important than freaking out about one year of James McCann as the backup catcher. 

There is wayyyy too much b****ing on this board over Alonso and McCann being acquired. $2.5 million is cheap and Alonso cost almost nothing. They are all in on Harper and Machado and if they don’t get them, there is probably a plan B. People really need to let things play out and see what happens. Seriously.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

McCann will be a strong veteran presence in the locker room.  You need vets like him when you're dealing with a such a young roster.  I would suspect his leadership and presence is half the reason they decided to sign him.  From all accounts, McCann is a helluva teammate.  

I agree with you completely, he has a bit of an edge to him that this team needs BADLY.

• Tony unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Bumped and re-read,

I know everyone is very pleased by how well he is hitting.

Many of the arguments in the thread said he was poor defensively and a bad framer.  What does everyone think of his defense ?

I know I could say lessons learned not to rely so heavily on defensive metrics or even pitch framing but I know a lot of the board is so into metrics that they refuse to believe that those metrics are flawed.

Seems to me he's been good behind the plate and framing as I always argue is more reliant on having good pitchers to frame . I have no idea if anyone has ever studied it but maybe the worst framers are catching some pretty bad pitchers. You can't say its the framing that makes the pitchers bad but you could make an argument that pitchers who just don't throw with enough control/command can certainly make their catchers framing stats look bad .

Way too much love in the thread for Narvaez, Smith and Zavala.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bumped and re-read,

I know everyone is very pleased by how well he is hitting.

Many of the arguments in the thread said he was poor defensively and a bad framer.  What does everyone think of his defense ?

I know I could say lessons learned not to rely so heavily on defensive metrics or even pitch framing but I know a lot of the board is so into metrics that they refuse to believe that those metrics are flawed.

Seems to me he's been good behind the plate and framing as I always argue is more reliant on having good pitchers to frame . I have no idea if anyone has ever studied it but maybe the worst framers are catching some pretty bad pitchers. You can't say its the framing that makes the pitchers bad but you could make an argument that pitchers who just don't throw with enough control/command can certainly make their catchers framing stats look bad .

Way too much love in the thread for Narvaez, Smith and Zavala.

What do I think of his defense? Compare pitchers’ ERA with him at catcher versus Castillo this year or Narvaez/Smith/Castillo last year. The numbers speak for themselves.