White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why do you think he will be up that soon?

I don't.  I was responding to posters who are saying "what's the big deal? He's a placeholder for Seby.".  I think McCann, with this deal, is clearly expected to be the backup for the entirety of the 2019 season.  He wasn't signed to an milb deal. He was paid $2.5M, which isn't nothing, to be the backup catcher next season.  If they just wanted a 1 month placeholder, they would have given a catcher or two a minor league deal. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I sometimes wonder if half this board even watched the team last year.  Didn’t we have the most strikes in the league lost due to poor framing?  If you don’t think that has an impact on our young pitching, then I don’t know what to tell you.  But hey, who the fuck cares!

You're such a psycho for caring!! 

• Haha 1

We’re the Dolphins now...except lacking a franchise history of past excellence.

They just better sign someone, anyone to get excited about.  The only other way to survive this as a fan of the sport is to find other teams that are enjoyable to watch or root for (basically Cubs’ opponents, for me it was the Royals from living in KC a decade) while waiting for your favorite team to get it going again.  Kind of like hibernating for 10-15 years.

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

And if Hahn acquired a player that was even an average framer this would have made at least some sense.  

If you check out FG, you will see the McCann is actually rated ahead of Omar in defense, including WAY ahead in arm and accuracy.  McCann actually had the 3rd best defensive rating in FG.  Omar was 22nd.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=100&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Omar was also rated dead last, 117th of 117 of all MLB catchers in framing in 2018.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1899548

Lol...just found this article outlining the impact of pitching framing on 2018 pitching performances.  Look who the #1 & #2 most negatively impacted starters were...I’ll give you a hint, they play for the same as McCann does now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/9tk3yr/introducing_rfip_evaluating_pitchers_without_the/

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We’re the Dolphins now...except lacking a franchise history of past excellence.

They just better sign someone, anyone to get excited about.  The only other way to survive this as a fan of the sport is to find other teams that are enjoyable to watch or root for (basically Cubs’ opponents, for me it was the Royals from living in KC a decade) while waiting for your favorite team to get it going again.  Kind of like hibernating for 10-15 years.

All in favor of turning this site into a Brewers fan site?

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

All in favor of turning this site into a Brewers fan site?

No denying they were a lot of fun to watch last year, especially when it was at the Cubs’ expense.

If the Sox ever did move, that would be one logical choice.  Most could never really just turn into Cards’ fans unless it’s in your blood.

Eucker is also a lot of fun.  

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I sometimes wonder if half this board even watched the team last year.  Didn’t we have the most strikes in the league lost due to poor framing?  If you don’t think that has an impact on our young pitching, then I don’t know what to tell you.  But hey, who the fuck cares!

Aren't you a bit hypocritical considering your stance on Bryce Harper, despite his defensive metrics?

18 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/66068/omar-narvaez

This includes framing, and with it included he is pretty much replacement level. His framing was so bad last year it negated his bat entirely.

2 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Framing wouldn't be needed if umpires could call balls and strikes correctly.  Let's get robot strike zones and then framing goes away.

I am for that, but in their defense, sometimes you watch how they are caught and you have no idea they caught all of the plate until you see the graphic.