White Sox Sign C James McCann

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Quinarvy said:

Question:

1) If we signed Grandal and one of Zavala/Collins was tearing it up, how would people react?
2) If we signed Grandal and Zavala AND Collins were tearing it up, how would people react?

I'd probably try to do the floss.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Quinarvy said:

Question:

1) If we signed Grandal and one of Zavala/Collins was tearing it up, how would people react?
2) If we signed Grandal and Zavala AND Collins were tearing it up, how would people react?

Great, let them keep tearing it up. Jose will be gone next year and neither of them are as good at catching as Grandal anyways.

Zavala spent time on the DL last year and had a limited number of plate appearances. Collins has yet to be promoted to Charlotte. Signing McCann has absolutely zero baring on the futures of Zavala and Collins. Should one become ready then one of Castillo/McCann will be released.

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Zavala spent time on the DL last year and had a limited number of plate appearances. Collins has yet to be promoted to Charlotte. Signing McCann has absolutely zero baring on the futures of Zavala and Collins. Should one become ready then one of Castillo/McCann will be released.

OTOH, one of the key pieces of the rebuild succeeding will require Hahn and co. to have shown marked improvement in their FA signings and pro scouting, which they were objectively the worst front office in baseball on from 2013-2016 (lol jimmy rollins).

All of the marginal signings of today indicate whether the sox have revamped this dept. If they succeed, that's a good sign, but they are targeting poor choices again!

8 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Question:

Seems like having two or three awesome catchers would be a good problem to have?

Just now, bmags said:

OTOH, one of the key pieces of the rebuild succeeding will require Hahn and co. to have shown marked improvement in their FA signings and pro scouting, which they were objectively the worst front office in baseball on from 2013-2016 (lol jimmy rollins).

All of the marginal signings of today indicate whether the sox have revamped this dept. If they succeed, that's a good sign, but they are targeting poor choices again!

Yep their major league scouting has been beyond terrible. It’s like every other player they acquire comes to Chicago and forgets how to play and is out of baseball in two years.  The faith people have in this front office is too strong.

I remember on one of the soxtalk podcasts, they had mentioned that a very respected and successful pitcher said there is only about 3 very good framers in the entire game. You can put everyone else in the same category. I understand the importance of it, especially with our young pitchers, but I don't think it's as a big of a deal as people think, as probably 90 percent of the teams are in the same boat as the Sox.

11 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Question:

1) Are Zavala/Collins actually going to stick at catcher? If so, you can trade either Collins or Grandal! 

2) Sweet...now you have three trade pieces with varying degrees of value! 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

1) Are Zavala/Collins actually going to stick at catcher? If so, you can trade either Collins or Grandal! 

2) Sweet...now you have three trade pieces with varying degrees of value! 

It is steadily dawning on me how dumb the question was. I guess my gut feeling is if we traded either of the young guys, people would flip since they were cheap and had potential, while Grandal could fall off at any point and would be expensive.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

No denying the front office has signed some serious duds in recent years. But I don't see the McCann signing as anything more than a backup to a guy coming off a PED suspension. McCann is a short term filler and nothing more. 

3 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

No denying the front office has signed some serious duds in recent years. But I don't see the McCann signing as anything more than a backup to a guy coming off a PED suspension. McCann is a short term filler and nothing more. 

It doesn't mean they can't sign a good backup!

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

It doesn't mean they can't sign a good backup!

Everyone wants to be like the Cubs or Astros.

The Cubs back up catcher had a 0.0 fWAR, the Astros was Brian McCann, he put up a .0.5, and paid a little more than $2.5 million. A lot of teams can't sign a good back up catcher. 

• Like 2

I don't really mind the signing, as Zavala and Collins need more time to cook. But I guess I don't see how McCann will be any material improvement over, say, Kevan Smith.

I get trading Narvaez because his value was at a peak and they got another piece that should be useful. But I don't see how McCann at this point in his career makes much sense, except maybe that the Sox think he could be trade bait (or allow Wellington to be trade bait) at the deadline if one or both are doing well and one of the youngsters is ready. Is that gamble worth the extra $2M? I'm just not sure.

I'm still leery of the accuracy  pitch framing stat. Grandal is the best pitch framer; and the Dodgers have the best team ERA by a mile.  I suspect that good pitching helps those framing stats more than the other way around. 

Another reason I wasn't excited about trading Narvaez (that and this obp/analytics starved org. dumping its one high obp hitter is suspect).

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Everyone wants to be like the Cubs or Astros.

The Cubs back up catcher had a 0.0 fWAR, the Astros was Brian McCann, he put up a .0.5, and paid a little more than $2.5 million. A lot of teams can't sign a good back up catcher. 

Astros can have Brian McCann because they have Max Stassi. Castillo was bad again last year. The sox have a lot of young pitchers who could greatly benefit or maintain focus if they didn't have to deal with this.

I don't care if they were a 0.0 WAR catcher if it allowed them a legitimate option to catch these players.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sorry, I am not willing to freak out about a $2.5 million deal.  It isn't 1980 anymore, this is what bench players cost.

I don't think the move is anything to freak out about over.  And it is just 2.5M so it technically doesn't prevent the Sox from going after Grandal with McCann as the backup (and moving Castillo seperately).  However, I do believe if the team intends to contend, it should be looking at upgrading the catcher position.  

• Tony unpinned this topic