Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

19 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Whoa, Rosenthal saying White Sox offer could have reached $350 million...shit just guarantee $325 to Harper w potential to reach $375.

That's the "Swell-opt" setup which is less favorable to the player than a player option. It sounds like a big number but it's the org being cheap and trying to disguise it behind a big number. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

That's the "Swell-opt" setup which is less favorable to the player than a player option. It sounds like a big number but it's the org being cheap and trying to disguise it behind a big number. 

That’s right.  I reacted too quickly hoping to find something that let me support this org...but I’m just mystified how they let this happen?!?  

For Harper, offer him 10/ $330 million guaranteed. No opt outs. Or give him a 5 year opt out. Even salary. He beats Machado. He beats Stanton. JR saves face. If Harper performs and Machado perform, they save money in the long run if the $350 million is accurate. Boras keeps his clients in shape. Harper plays hard, and is really the face of baseball. Win. Win. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

For Harper, offer him 10/ $330 million guaranteed. No opt outs. Even salary. He beats Machado. He beats Stanton. JR saves face. If Harper performs and Machado perform, they save money in the long run if the $350 million is accurate. Boras keeps his clients in shape. Harper plays hard, and is really the face of baseball. Win. Win. 

I hope they would, but I doubt it. It seems JR is content going down the Bill Wirtz road. Good Luck Jerry. Way to go from the most successful owner in town to the most villainous in 15 years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Dick Allen said:

For Harper, offer him 10/ $330 million guaranteed. No opt outs. Even salary. He beats Machado. He beats Stanton. JR saves face. If Harper performs and Machado perform, they save money in the long run if the $350 million is accurate. Boras keeps his clients in shape. Harper plays hard, and is really the face of baseball. Win. Win. 

You’ll probably have to throw the opt-out in there, but everything else I’d be up for. 

Although I think it’ll take 350 to beat the Phillies at this point. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I’m with you man. Not realistic but one can hope. They thought the swell opts would work but they were proven wrong. Hopefully this pushes them to make a real bid on Harper.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Please Dick, go handle these negotiations and save those other 3 from themselves.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

You’ll probably have to throw the opt-out in there, but everything else I’d be up for. 

Although I think it’ll take 350 to beat the Phillies at this point. 

Hell give him 400. Otherwise I hope 100 fans show up to games this year and jr loses his ass on ticket sales. F yeah I'm okay with spite

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

For Harper, offer him 10/ $330 million guaranteed. No opt outs. Or give him a 5 year opt out. Even salary. He beats Machado. He beats Stanton. JR saves face. If Harper performs and Machado perform, they save money in the long run if the $350 million is accurate. Boras keeps his clients in shape. Harper plays hard, and is really the face of baseball. Win. Win. 

Makes too much sense to happen, unfortunately

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is exactly what needs to happen but it won't and that makes me sick to my stomach.

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Hell give him 400. Otherwise I hope 100 fans show up to games this year and jr loses his ass on ticket sales. F yeah I'm okay with spite

It's not spite. It's not supporting a product that doesn't provide any value to us. The Sox are entertainment. I can find other ways to enjoy myself that aren't an embarrassment to a whole industry.

• Love 2

Just now, almagest said:

It's not spite. It's not supporting a product that doesn't provide any value to us. The Sox are entertainment. I can find other ways to enjoy myself that aren't an embarrassment to a whole industry.

That is the problem. The longer the Sox aren't entertaining the better the chance people who used to attend games find something else to do with their time, and stick with that even when the team gets better. Cleveland is an example. They sold out for years. Then were horrible. Now win the division every year and can't get a full house until playoff time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the problem. The longer the Sox aren't entertaining the better the chance people who used to attend games find something else to do with their time, and stick with that even when the team gets better. Cleveland is an example. They sold out for years. Then were horrible. Now win the division every year and can't get a full house until playoff time.

I know. None of you know me very well because I seldom post but I have been defending this organization and trusting them to be working to put the best product on the field throughout this rebuild. Today shows me that either that's not true or it could never be true because of their organizational philosophy (or just general incompetence). I would be one of the last people to say "I'm not watching or attending any games" yet here we are. This is absolutely not where this organization should be right now and its really sad.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think it's very plausible and even likely that Harper is better than Machado, but he also is a poorer fit with our organizational depth. In a couple years, we should have a lot of young outfielders competing for one CF spot assuming that Harper and Eloy man the corners.

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You have my vote. Sounds like a plan!