Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I think it's very plausible and even likely that Harper is better than Machado, but he also is a poorer fit with our organizational depth. In a couple years, we should have a lot of young outfielders competing for one CF spot assuming that Harper and Eloy man the corners.

That's fine, you trade from that depth to fill other holes. And not every one of those guys is going to hit, much less put up the kind of numbers Bryce Harper can.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

That's fine, you trade from that depth to fill other holes. And not every one of those guys is going to hit, much less put up the kind of numbers Bryce Harper can.

I'm not against signing Harper, but I do believe that even if Harper is better our marginal gain is likely to be less because we don't have great internal options for the infield in the way we do for the outfield (long term).

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I'm not against signing Harper, but I do believe that even if Harper is better our marginal gain is likely to be less because we don't have great internal options for the infield in the way we do for the outfield (long term).

Trade your outfield prospect capital for some infield and pitching help

• Like 1

Logic says that the Sox will push hard for Harper and make an offer that will guarantee more money that Machado got.  Logic says that, so I doubt the Sox do so.  A 10-year deal for $330M with an opt out after 5 years SHOULD get the job done.  Don't bother with deferred money and incentives and whatnot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Logic says that the Sox will push hard for Harper and make an offer that will guarantee more money that Machado got.  Logic says that, so I doubt the Sox do so.  A 10-year deal for $330M with an opt out after 5 years SHOULD get the job done.  Don't bother with deferred money and incentives and whatnot.

Logic actually says that the Sox wouldn’t pay up for their true target in Machado so why would they pay even more for their secondary target in Harper?

• Love 2

Anyone remember Hahn's comments earlier this offseason about how these contracts will end up being extremely creative?  Turns out he was dead wrong.  While they were trying to get all cute with incentives and swell opts, Machado ends up signing an incredibly straight forward deal -- $300 mil, 10 years, even $30 mil per year, opt out after 5.

If they are in at all on Harper, I hope they learned a valuable lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Time to get this thread to 20,000 posts 🙄 

Its not happening. The Sox aren't going to legitimately be in on this. They just showed us today where they are at when it comes to a seat at the table. They plan on ordering from the discount menu and Harper isnt about that either.   

2 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Logic actually says that the Sox wouldn’t pay up for their true target in Machado so why would they pay even more for their secondary target in Harper?

True.  I was saying what a team that was serious about going after free agents would do.  But yes, it is logical that the Sox won't pay up for Harper based on how they handled the Machado deal.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Anyone remember Hahn's comments earlier this offseason about how these contracts will end up being extremely creative?  Turns out he was dead wrong.  While they were trying to get all cute with incentives and swell opts, Machado ends up signing an incredibly straight forward deal -- $300 mil, 10 years, even $30 mil per year, opt out after 5.

The more I think about it the more I think this is key. You are incredibly lucky to see TWO franchise talents in the prime of their career in one free agent class. We never thought this would happen. You horribly blew one, so now make sure the other doesn't get away.

If Harper signs to anything resembling a reasonable deal with another team I think I'm gonna start a "Sell the teams, Jerry" billboard fund for right outside GRate & the UC.

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If they are in at all on Harper, I hope they learned a valuable lesson.  all get fired & sell the team

Fixed that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Fixed that.

Sox are not serious bidders for Harper, as the Phillies really need him in order to contend. 

This offseason should go down as a wasted opportunity and a significant failure for the rebuild. Might as well tank and lock in another top 5 draft pick in 2019.

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Right, big difference between this and JD Martinez, there were multiple suitors!

42 minutes ago, Goober said:

Hell give him 400. Otherwise I hope 100 fans show up to games this year and jr loses his ass on ticket sales. F yeah I'm okay with spite

400 for 12 years front load the first 200 in 4 years,  opt outs after year 6.  By the time he's in year  9, 10, 11 and 12, DH him and make sure the contract is low in those last year's in case he stays on with the options

• Love 1

1 minute ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

400 for 12 years front load the first 200 in 4 years,  opt outs after year 6.  By the time he's in year  9, 10, 11 and 12, DH him and make sure the contract is low in those last year's in case he stays on with the options

Come on, this is the White Sox... They will offer him $260M for 9y, with $100M in incentives that can be worth $360M!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, almagest said:

The more I think about it the more I think this is key. You are incredibly lucky to see TWO franchise talents in the prime of their career in one free agent class. We never thought this would happen. You horribly blew one, so now make sure the other doesn't get away.

If Harper signs to anything resembling a reasonable deal with another team I think I'm gonna start a "Sell the teams, Jerry" billboard fund for right outside GRate & the UC.

Feel free to DM me when you do. I am ready to waste my money on that (and not on tickets).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heirdog said:

If you can’t convert on a tailor made future HoF free agent for you org in his absolute prime because he went at the lower end of the anticipated market rate, and you have “planned” for this...you deserve all the criticism and barbs you will get.  Have at it @Whitesoxa6

I’m deeply devastated by the Machado news myself. Even being how pessimistic I was, I really thought deep down that they’d pony up. I kind of used my pessimism as a safety net to not get too confident in this organization and it really didn’t help at all. I’m actually disappointed about how right I was about this whole situation. Good night guys. 

• Like 1

The White Sox absolutely have to sign Harper now. There's really no other option. It's not even just the talent he has and the value he has on and off the field at ~35 mil/yr. It's also the perception value here. This franchise right now is as low as I can remember it being. They need a redemption badly, and nothing like Harper is coming any time in the next few years.