Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

To get back to this rumor I think its obvious  the cubs will sign him if they can move salary.  The problem is moving the salary.  I think the market for Harper is the White Sox and Nats. 

Wasn't everybody just saying this about the dodgers.... Then conveniently when it became clear LA wouldn't be signing him, the cubs are rumored to be in the drivers seat. To me it reeks of boras trying to get offers up.

26 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Wasn't everybody just saying this about the dodgers.... Then conveniently when it became clear LA wouldn't be signing him, the cubs are rumored to be in the drivers seat. To me it reeks of boras trying to get offers up.

There really aren’t a lot of rumors connecting the Cubs to Harper though.  You’ve got some Twitter cat and then apparently the Cubs beat reporter on NBCsports has complete knowledge of the Cubs’ offseason plans and is openly sharing them at dinners.  To me, it all seems far-fetched that they’d be able to move enough salary to pull off this type of move and I questing how it actually makes them better.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I dont think moving Heyward would be that difficult for the Cubs. The difficulty comes from how willing the Cubs are willing to move young players with Heyward. If the Cubs were to add in Happ and Contreras, I'm sure there would be a good number of teams that would be all over that.

Why? Happ and Contreras aren't even that good.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There really aren’t a lot of rumors connecting the Cubs to Harper though.  You’ve got some Twitter cat and then apparently the Cubs beat reporter on NBCsports has complete knowledge of the Cubs’ offseason plans and is openly sharing them at dinners.  To me, it all seems far-fetched that they’d be able to move enough salary to pull off this type of move and I questing how it actually makes them better.

With his documented desire to play for the Cubs, it will all depend on what discount he would offer to the Cubs. Similar to the Machado discount for the Yankmees. 

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

With his documented desire to play for the Cubs, it will all depend on what discount he would offer to the Cubs. Similar to the Machado discount for the Yankmees. 

The difference is the Yankees are below the luxury tax right now and can easily afford Machado.  The Cubs can not add Harper right now (even at a discount) without moving substantial money.  And given that he turned down 10/$300M from his former team, I don’t see him taking anything less from the Cubs even if that’s where he’d like to end up.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The difference is the Yankees are below the luxury tax right now and can easily afford Machado.  The Cubs can not add Harper right now (even at a discount) without moving substantial money.  And given that he turned down 10/$300M from his former team, I don’t see him taking anything less from the Cubs even if that’s where he’d like to end up.

I think people are underestimating the bigger picture for Harper.  If the contracts sizes are anywhere close to one another (Sox, Cubs, and Nationals) Marketing alone, maybe not in Chicago it might not be a big difference opportunity wise but nationwide it will easily make up the difference in contract size by signing with the Cubs. Unlike the White Sox, the Cubs are set up to win now and have his best friend there on the roster.

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

I think people are underestimating the bigger picture for Harper.  If the contracts sizes are anywhere close to one another (Sox, Cubs, and Nationals) Marketing alone, maybe not in Chicago it might not be a big difference opportunity wise but nationwide it will easily make up the difference in contract size by signing with the Cubs. Unlike the White Sox, the Cubs are set up to win now and have his best friend there on the roster.

I don’t follow the marketing angle.

Trading Happ/Schwarber and Contreras to add Harper seems like a net loss for the Cubs unless Harper puts up 5+ WAR per season and doesn't opt out. I also don't know how they sign both Bryant and Harper which means Harper is probably opting out after Bryant leaves.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t follow the marketing angle.

Being the image of products, endorsements, opportunities, etc. Hands down he will get more opportunities being on the Cubs than he would with the Whitesox

Edited by beckham15

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Being the image of products, endorsements, opportunities, etc. Hands down he will get more opportunities being on the Cubs than he would with the Whitesox

Yep huge national brand vs an irrelevant franchise. Hell, Sox don’t even have anyone popular enough to use in the Buona Beef commercials, as they have to use Frank.

Just now, beckham15 said:

For national endorsements?  Will the team he’s on really make that much of a difference?  Bryce Harper is Bryce Harper and already a proven commodity in terms of marketability.  I guess I wouldn’t think the difference in earning power would be that significant between the Cubs & Sox.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils