Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

17 hours ago, pcq said:

Looks like the Reddit Harpo signing Saturday rumors were based upon hot air. No doubt there could be a meeting. I bet Scotties sees forums like this and gets all tingly. Certainly they are monitoring social media if not inventing it .

There DEFINITELY is a Harper/Boras meeting with the Phillies on Saturday.  Unless they sign Machado in the next 12-18 hours, and probably still, even then.

19 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Harper has less than 1% chance signing with the Nationals. I think that meeting and leaking of the $300mm offer was a "favor" to Boras. It was leaked out to help establish a floor... you must go ABOVE $300mm if you want a chance otherwise we have the Nationals. And then once that didn't work, I think they let it be known they were meeting again.... to again establish that if the current teams don't up their offer that he'll just resign w/ the Nats. Based on the luxury tax -- I just don't see that being real. If the Manny Deal truly comes in at under $250mm then I think its realistic that the Harper deal comes in under $300mm. We're in a very weird time in the MLB for free agents. The Miggy Cabrera & Albert Pujols deals never made sense but were necessary, now there's significant pushback. I actually see this as an opportune time to strike. Very opportune.

Good post, Brian.  But, why were the Pujols and Cabrera trades "necessary".

Necessary because of what the free market dictated. I think baseball is fully in the "information age". There are more stats than ever that are driving contracts. Before you had more of the Hawk Harrelson eye test going on, but I think that's over. I mean, if we sign Harper or Machado to 8+ years I think it's very likely we don't get our full value on the guys either.

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If Philly gets Harper, there's nothing we (sox) could have done and I'm OK with that. 

If other teams get Harper, I'll be pretty pissed off since we (sox) have much more financial flexibility than the others outside of Philly. 

Pretty obvious the Sox focus in on MM, which it should be - he is the far better long term fit.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty obvious the Sox focus in on MM, which it should be - he is the far better long term fit.  

I want both and I consider the Phillies as the only team in our way. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I want both and I consider the Phillies as the only team in our way. 

I want both as well, but MM is happening first.  And I think the chances of the Sox landing both is microscopically low at this point - I don't think Harper is interested in the Sox at all.  There has been virtually no Sox/Harper connections since the Winter Meetings. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I want both as well, but MM is happening first.  And I think the chances of the Sox landing both is microscopically low at this point - I don't think Harper is interested in the Sox at all.  There has been virtually no Sox/Harper connections since the Winter Meetings. 

Silence is normally how the Sox operate. 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Harper to the Phillies is the best case scenario for us as of now in my opinion. That would probably take them out of the Machado race.

If they felt they were out of the Machado race they probably wouldn't have hired his mentor yesterday. Honestly this legitimately scares me at this point that they are going for both.

Edited by Sockin

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There haven't been harper connections at all since winter meetings until this phillies meeting came up. Also everyone seems to think harper doesn't want to be on their team. Boras is pretty good at what he does.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Harper to the Phillies is the best case scenario for us as of now in my opinion. That would probably take them out of the Machado race.

If Harper to the Phillies gets announced before anything on Machado, I'd have mixed feelings. It may take them out of the race for Machado, but if it doesn't, the Phillies just got a lot more attractive for MM.  Its basically the Sox thing I think for the Sox - if they land MM before Harper makes his decision, if they're willing to keep whatever offer they have to Harper on the table (BIGGGG IF), the Sox likely become more attractive to Harper.  

9 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Sounds like hes throwing shit at the wall based on them meeting tomorrow. 

I don’t think so...Luzinski’s like the Phillies equivalent for Ron Kittle - beloved ex-player, directly involved with the team, often at the stadium. It has to be plausible at least.

They have Nola for just three more years, better make them count...that’s another reason why waiting for Trout to play for them in 2021 makes less sense.

Also doubt they will try to upstage the Eagles’ playoff game, but who knows.  Signing Harper might be the only thing that would outrank that for Philly sports fans.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Nightengale says the Phillies may offer 12 yrs/$350M. I'm hoping they offer it tomorrow and he signs. Let's take out another landing spot for Machado. And if you are the Phillies, you SHOULD be trying to steal Harper away from the Nats. Feed 2 birds with 1 scone.

Holy crap, that offer is insane. 12 years?!? 350 million?!? WOW!

31 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Nightengale says the Phillies may offer 12 yrs/$350M. I'm hoping they offer it tomorrow and he signs. Let's take out another landing spot for Machado. And if you are the Phillies, you SHOULD be trying to steal Harper away from the Nats. Feed 2 birds with 1 scone.

Where did he say this?

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils